school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Medication

Has anyone had experience with Risperdal?

Update: as previously posted found a wonderful place - afternoon school in family and fun atmosphere! My son liked the first meeting and I was really pleased. Of course when it came the time for the second meeting he refused to go!!! Still haven't given up though and I hope I will be able to persuade him to go again. He hasn't been in school now for quite a few weeks but at least he is still keeping contact with his friends. Met with a psychiatrist yesterday who has written some articles about school refusal. After a good talk with my son (who explained his fears and anxieties very honestly and clear) the dr. suggested risperdal. He says he has had experience with school refusers and this drug has helped them.

Re: Medication

Hi Yael,

Nice to hear from you again. I do hope your son feels more able to attend. Perhaps new situation - doesn't like change? Can you re introduce just a small step at a time? Visit but don't stay? Go but stay for short time? Then lengthen? Meet someone from the group outside of the learning situation?

Sorry - just ideas I am floating around that I am sure you have already thought of. I am sure something will come up. In the meantime - good luck to you and your son. I have no experience with the medication you mention. They use fluoxetine at one of the universities here where they are running a School Refusal program. But from a friend whose son is taking medication - it is also sometimes a case of what works with individuals and what the side effects are. So you might find you have to try a couple of different medications before you get it right.
Good luck and stay in touch -
Linda xx

My husband and I had a very good meeting with the owner of this private place. It's not instead of school but the idea is to work with the school to get the kids back on track. It's not just learning there - they have a football table and couches etc. - it's more like a youth club than a classroom. My job now is to persuade him to go again just for one hour.
I'm not sure about the medication - flutine is more for depression but my son has more anxieties than depression so the Dr. suggested risperdal. I'm willing to try anything!!!!
thanks for the good luck wishes!! I'll let you know.

Yael - good luck with it all and never give up hope.

Sarah xx