school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
They want to take me to court.............

Just finished having a meeting with the ewo,,,, if I dont have parenting course, they will take me to court.... My argument is how will that helpmy son.......He has problem with school the cousre will it help him...... I have just had enough.............. sam..xxx

Re: They want to take me to court.............

Sam - my heart goes out to you. The system is just so terribly wrong in dealing with School Refusal. It is an insult to you and all you are doing.

Is Parent Partnership helping you? Sarah found them good.
There have been others on the forum who have been threatened with court but have managed to avoid getting to that point.
Did the ewo answer any of the questions you said you wanted to ask? Or did you feel you had little opportunity to explain what SR really is?
Document everything you can. Even send them information (info from the experts, book titles, paper cuttings - there has been some on-line references to stores in the paper on here). There was also a case last year of where a family in the UK did get taken to court and the judge threw it out. The same would happen to anyone else but it seems that perhaps since then no-one has got to the court stage as the authorities are aware that it just wouldn't stand up.

It seems to me that they have a list of things in regard to student absences and going to parenting class is just one of the things they have to tick off before it leads to court.
You could attend the course and steer it in your direction or if it isn't at all related to what you need - throw it back at the ewo as them wasting time in getting your son the help he needs. What help have they provided for your son?

Sorry I probably haven't been much help but just to let you know I am thinking of you and how hard it must be at the moment.
let us know what you decide to do. Take care -
Linda xx

Re: They want to take me to court.............

Sam - i have heard that these parenting courses are very informative so it may be good to go and have a look. Also it will help in yor defence that you are doing everything you can.

Good luck

Sar x