school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
up date

Hi Guys

I was a bit apprehensive about sharing this as i didn't want to tempt fate, but R has asked me too, about 6 weeks ago we got in touch with a Mr Jonathan Clark, he is a NLP ( neuro-linguistic programming ) coach, We gave him a brief history and asked if he could help, he said that he was sure he could but he would like to meet R first for a free 30 minute consultation to see if they both gelled, following this meeting they both agreed to carry on and we booked our first session, we arrived on time but he kept us waiting for 30 minutes, by this time, as you can imagine, R was so stressed that he didn't want to do it and wanted to go home, it took a lot of persuasion, but he stayed, he was a different boy when he came out of the session, Jonathan said he did really well and it was good for him to see R at his worst, he said to fix a problem you first have to find it, so with hindsight, I think he kept us waiting on purpose, we arranged another meeting then left, usually following any meetings R has had in the past, he is quiet, withdrawn, not wanting to do anything, but this time he wouldn't stop talking, he said 'I really think this guy can help me', he has never been like this before, following his 2nd session jonathan told him that to challenge himself, he had to go back to the place where his fear was at it's worst, school, we discussed it with R then made an appointment for him to go see his support for learning teacher, he went quite happily, no problem, met with the teacher then went walking around school to try and see his old computing teacher, huge acheivement. Following his next session Jonathan asked R to try to go to college, even just to go into building to see how he felt, he went down one day but was unsure what to say to his tutor as it had been so long since he was last down, so I suggested that he e mailed him to arranged to go down the following day, he not only went down the following day but also sat his first assessment! He had his final session with Jonathan on Monday and he was happy that he didn't have to see R again, all he asked was that we e mail him in a months time to let him know how things are.
Today R went down to college and spent two and a half hours revising for his next assessment, he spoke to his tutor and has arranged to go down next thursday to sit the next two assessments. Sitting outside college when I dropped him off today, he was laughing, saying ' I cant believe I'm sitting out side college and I dont feel anxious or stressed at all'. He is a different boy these days, seems happier and more content in himself, his grampa commented that for the past 5 years he felt that a cloud has been hovering over him, but now it's gone. It's still early days, and I'm scared to hope for too much, but this has been the most positive person that R has seen throughout all of this. I am so proud of him, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Take care
Dorothy x

Re: up date

That is fantastic!

Dorothy - absolutely amazing and again i'm in tears- and well done R will let M know, be nice for the guys to get in touch again.

Sarah xx

Hi Dorothy,

That is so wonderful to hear! And a fascinating story with such a big change to your son. Do you think it is 'what' the person is doing or 'how' the person is approaching your son that has had the most impact. What does you son feel is so different than anyone else he has met who has claimed to be able to help? Is it that step of going back and breaking down old barriers?
Fantastic news - I was about to ask on the other post how you were going.
Thanks for all your help in the early days for us too.
Linda xx

Hi Sarah

Thanks, that would be good.

Linda

he doesn't know what is different this time, but right from the start he had positive feelings, he said Jonathan didn't really ask him much but he just felt different or in his own words 'weird' following each session.

We have been to see so many people in the past that i was unsure before we went to see this man, and when he said it would only take a few sessions, I was a bis skeptical, he said that he works on the unconscious mind. He has been amazing.

Take care
Dorothy x

Interesting, Dorothy. I guess it is the unconscious mind where those negative thoughts are trapped.
Again - great to hear your update.
Linda xx

Hi Dorothy,

Haven't been on for a while but so pleased I have - it is so lovely to hear some positive news. My son's therapist is always telling me that our children will get over this but in their own time. This is so hard to believe but your news makes it easier. Please let us know his progress and it really does give us hope.

So so happy for you, your son and your family.

Sophyx

Such good news Dorothy!

You and your son must feel so relieved.

Good luck and keep smiling.

Sue and M xx

Hi Dorothy

Not been on here for a while but this is really good news for you all.

Keep us updated Dawn