school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
let off steam

Ok here again cos I need to let off steam.

I previously posted about this wonderful place I found which is an afternoon school but agreed to take on my son for an hour a day and help him gradually get back to school. Even the school agreed and he started going - everyone happy!!! Last week he let them down at the last minute saying that he wasn't going (and the guy was coming in especially for my son!) Son had a row with Dad - ran away from home - major drama but all calmed down and settled in the end. Then after a nice relaxing weekend half an hour before he was meant to leave he locked himself in the bathroom!! I can't understand. the learning centre is so understanding - it's in a home and not like school at all. There is totally no pressure and he only has to be there for one hour!!! How can I get him to see that there is no other alternative? How can I get him to understand that he just can't play on the computer all day and go out with friends in the afternoon? It's so frustrating!!!!!

Re: let off steam

Hi Yael,

Sorry to year you are having a hard time with your son! There must still be something that he does not feel comfortable with. If it is underlying anxiety then the anxiety will still be there. Perhaps sometimes when we place an alternative before them they feel they have to try and make it work but the expectations become too much? I do hope you can work something out and get him back on track again. Take care,
Linda xx

Hi Yael, I can understand your frustrations. It is hard for us as parents to understand why our children refuse to go.

I do hope things improve again for you. Good luck.

thanks both of you for your support!

I found out that the problem was that it was going so well that they mentioned a date for going back to school!!! They meant well but it was a wrong move for my SR son.

Fingers crossed for today - I told him no pressure and he will go back to school when he's ready. Meeting set up with school and social worker for next week - hope I can ward them off.

Yael

I really feel for you, unfortunately this is what happens, my son would do this at the education centre, he went after school hours and teachers from the school would come especially to teach him, he couldn't explain why this happened and there was no way he was going in, other days he was fine, no problems at all, I could alway tell the days that he wouldn't go in, his body language was completely different. They don't mean it, it's just something out with there control.

Take care
Dorothy x