school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update from me... can't believe it's November since I was last here!

Well I just checked and it was November when I last posted! Hope all is well with everyone.

Update from me...

As you might remember my DD (then 8 but now 9) was refusing school and we had an absolutely awful time with her in Oct/Nov when I finally went to the GP and school made a CAMHS referral. Anyway since then we have had several appointments with CAMHS. We face the every day grumbling but the out and out refusal to go to school has lessened significantly since that time. But what a turn up for the books. DD is now being put forward for an ADOS assessment. Her apparent school refusal is likely to be Asperger's and associated anxieties around the social aspects of school since academically she is very able.

I admit to being surprised since I work with children with ASD and since CAMHS have adjusted the point from which I am viewing her behaviours (it isn't like I don't do this as a professional 5 days a week ) I can clearly see her sensory, social and transition needs. What an idiot!

Anyway, just thought I would pop by and update people and say thank you for the support in the early days when I literally had nowhere to turn.

Hillie x

Re: Update from me... can't believe it's November since I was last here!

Hi Hillie - you know when you are emotionally attached to the situation it's very hard to see.
Hope all goes well for you.

Sarah xx

Thanks Sarah. I have to admit to feeling a sense of relief now. At least I know what I'm dealing with!

Hi Hillie

Good to hear your update. It will be interesting to know what the outcome is. I know that some of those traits seem to run through as a character with our kids but it doesn't always seem to be aspergers - but a teacher did ask me whether I had my son tested for aspergers when he was at the primary school. I have taught a child with aspergers and so did not feel my son was like that - but perhaps the spectrum is much broader these days? OR are our kids being put in the top end of aspergers because they don't know where else to put them? It will be your gut feeling that can accept the outcome or not - but yes - as Sarah says - perhaps you were too close to the work you do to spot something in your own daughter? And perhaps there was a natural unconscious safety mechanism at work?
Let us know what the outcome is -
Linda

Hi Linda,

The spectrum is very broad. The practitioner at CAMHS commented on how she thought that eventually there would be a decreasing number of diagnoses therefore labelling children as having deficits and an acknowledging that people have different personalities... an interesting comment I thought.

My gut feeling is that CAMHS are right. There are sensory issues along with organisational difficulties. She was much slower than my other two (1 older, 1 younger) to do things like learn to ride her bike despite the same opportunities and environment as our other two, but much quicker in writing and reading etc. she has difficulties with change, particularly to routines and known adults, poor facial expression.... all sorts!!! The jigsaw pieces are fitting together well and I think I have me an Aspergirl! TBH if that's the diagnosis I'll be a bit relieved... I know what I'm dealing with then. And it makes sense of a lot of her behaviours.

Hilie