school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some progress!

Hi everyone, well my daughter has got her AS levels starting and after not going to school hardly at all since Feb half term, managed to go in and complete an exam this week. She had a panic attack beforehand and we sat outside the school right up until the time she had to go in but she managed to calm herself and go in and stick it out. The good thing is she is determined to do well in her exams as she has been working hard at home and she doesn't want to take them later in the year and be different from her friends. She has another two this week and I am apprehensive as she seems to manage things one day and not the next so you never know what you are going to get. I am so proud of her for going in when I know she felt really ill but I think she understands that she got herself into a state and therefore she had the power to get herself out of it, which she did. I hope she remembers this!

She has also started with a private psychologist and was rather morose before she went in and came out looking like she had been crying but I did not quiz her on it and once she realised I wasn't going to ask her questions she lightened up. I do feel for her as she hates talking about her 'problem' and her feelings to anyone but I have tried to tell her that she has to try and trust him and open up so he can help her. Difficult for a sensitive teenager.

I am sad that she seems to have withdrawn from her friends. I know she is in touch with them on facebook a lot, but she is not making arrangements or accepting invitations to go out. I think she is embarrassed about what is going on and she feels 'different' and is worried that she is going to get asked about her phobia. I worry her friends are going to get fed up with her. She seems content just pottering at home.

Anyway, let's see how this week goes, if she manages the other two exams I will be so happy and it will really boost her confidence too.

Hope you are all doing ok,

R

Re: Some progress!

That's really good news that your daughter managed to do the exam last week. I hope things are going ok this week too.

Also good that she's seen the private psychologist. It does sound like you're making some good progress at the moment.

Good luck.

Sharon