school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
driving lesson's

Hi Everyone

My boy turned 17 on Monday and had his first driving lesson on tuesday, did really well and he enjoyed it, he booked another one for friday.

take care
Dorothy x

Re: driving lesson's

That's good news!

How is he doing with the theory?

Dorothy

Absolutley wonderful news sending you lots of hugs xx

Simon

He has only started but we bought him disc for computer as part of his birthday so hopefully will be fine.

Hope things ok with you.

Take care
Dorothy x

Thanks Sarah, how things with you, has M managed to go in for any exams?

Take care
Dorothy x

Hi

We have another one on Monday so fingers crossed xx

Sarah xx

Sarah

I'm hoping so much that he manages to go, please tell him good luck from us and just to do what he can .

Take care
Dorothy x

Hi Dorothy,

That is great news! I was just thinking the other day about SR kids and whether they manage to learn to drive or whether fear gets the better of them. I was really hoping that my son will eventually as that would give him so much more independence and the means to 'escape' when he felt he needed and avoid crowds on public transport. So good to hear! Hope he keeps going well.
Linda
PS Good luck with the exam on Monday, Sarah. Have my fingers crossed for you too.

Thanks guys - i'm not going to get to upset if he doesn't as long as he tries. He is 16 tomorrow and having a small party sleepover with 3 friends, and has asked me if they are allowed a "drink" ? Whats your thoughts on this subject ? He has said a WKD each ? I have never thought about it before as he has always been against alcohol due to his fear of being sick - should i let them have one ?

Sarah xx

Sarah

I always allowed my kids to have a small drink at home with us if we were having a few people round, at least then you can keep an eye out.

Hope you don't mind but I'd like to say a few things to M, would you let him read this please.

M

First of all we would like to wish you a very happy birthday, it's a big thing turning 16, technically your an adult and have more say in what happens in your life, which brings me to the next thing, I don't want to preach, honestly, but you remind me so much of R and you have both been going through this nightmare, your exam's are now here and this is a time when us mum's get almost as stressed as you, like yourself R would rather not sit an exam than fail, but this is what all the hard work was for, for some reason R had no problems going into sit his exam's, I dont know why this was and neither does he, we took R to see a 'life coach' and this man has helped him turn his life around, he does not get uptight or anxious about going to college or in other aspects in his life, he has been amazing, R always got so stressed about going into school, but would start to calm down when he was there, this coach taught him to turn these thoughts around and focus on the end product, coming back out of school, he said that you have to picture what you are aiming for and that is managing to sit the exam and get back out of school, so maybe instead of getting so worked up and anxious about going into school, try and focus on how you will feel when you come out of school after sitting the exam, you have worked so hard and you will pass, no problem. Sorry again if you feel that I am preaching as thats not what I want to do, I know it's easy for me to say all this, but we are living it too and I know it seems like a mountain right now, but when you walk back out of that exam room you will feel like you have run a marathon, we will be thinking about you on Monday, sending love and hugs.

Take care
Dorothy and R x

Dorothy

Thank you for the message and i will share it with M when he gets in - gone to play golf this morning. Your words are so right, and i think you have expained it very well at looking at the end result i have never actually put it to him like that. I also think we should look into a life coach, his cbt nurse has done so much but a little extra help would certainly be a bonus.

Once again thank you so much - and i will let them have a drink but only in moderation lol

Lots of love Sarah xx

Sarah

The person we saw is Jonathan Clark, NLP coach, you should google him and see what you think, R only had 4 sessions with him but we noticed a huge difference after the first session

Take care
Dorothy x

Dorothy - he looks good i'm going to e mail him. Boys all on x box and had a wkd each, all seems well at the moment lol

Sarah xx

sarah

glad they're having a good time, let me know how u get on with jonathan

take care
Dorothy x

i certainly will thanks Dorothy xx