school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two and a half weeks

Hi everyone

I just wanted to report some good news to give others hope. My son has gone to school for two and a half weeks without any complaint in a morning. This is compared to the usual hiccup at least one or two days a week where I have had to almost drag him there. And he has now gone to school nearly every day for 5 weeks!! I still sit on edge....but it is different - and I hope that some of you can feel that soon - no matter what steps or roads you are taking.
My son says he now realises that the more he faced his 'fears' the easier it has become. This doesn't mean that whenever something new comes up he might have a meltdown - but it is a huge step forward in his thinking.
I don't know if the new psychologist is helping with this or it is just a realisation he has come to.

We still have struggles going to bed and computer usage - but not quite as bad. It is hard for him waking up in a morning half dead - and hearing the neighbour's kids on one side playing basket ball from 7.30 onwards and the other neighbour's kid is practising saxophone. It makes him feel worse! The neighbour's don't realise how lucky they are....but we would love them to sleep in a bit more : )

Thinking of you all out there - and wondering how everything is going. Ros....what happened on Monday morning?
Take care,
Linda

Re: Two and a half weeks

That's fantastic Linda, it must be a great feeling! I can only hope that my daughter will get the help she needs soon. Knowing that there is hope really is comforting. You and your son have been through alot by the sounds of it. All the best for his continued wellness.

So proud of you both

Sarah xx

Linda

Thats excellent news, its amazing how it gives us all a lift, when we hear things like this, well done.

Take care
Dorothy x

Sarah

How are things?

Dorothy x

Hi Dorothy

Ummm ok'sh. M has managed some GCSE's which is great, but i have decided to just draw a line underneath school now and i think that is best for us both in order to move forward. M is very fortune at have an apprenticeship to look forward to, but again my concerns are will he be able to do it - if he can then it will be the making of him, but if he can't i'm not sure where it will leave us so i hope and pray all will work out for him.

I have to make him standon his own two feet more now, i have rightly or wrongly shielded him for the past few years and he has become quite dependant on me, far more than his younger brother, but i did what i thought was right at the time. He now has a fantastic opportunity and hope that he grabs it with both hands and makes a success of it, but who knows.

Thank you for asking, and knowing that people care does help so much.

Lots of love
Sarah xx

Sarah

Well done to M and to you, I know only too well how hard this road has been for both of you. I agree that it is time to move on from school, I wish M all the luck in the world for his future, he will do well, keep in touch.

Take care
Dorothy x

Thanks Sarah, Dorothy and Melanie,

We have had a good run this term. Now my son is home sick and we only have one week before two week holidays start. Must admit I am feeling a bit edgy about next week. Whilst it might just seem like - the last week of term so no big deal - as you know with SR kids - a week before the holidays can make all the difference in how they go getting back after the holidays.
But - can't complain - this time last year - I never would have believed he could have done so well.
Hope you are all going ok - thinking of you all.
Linda