school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
going to court

how many families have been to court because of school refusal

looks like we are headed there - I am devastated

Re: going to court

Hi Jeszabel,

So sorry to hear this - you must feel awful. It just seems to crazy that these days it can end up in court when it is obviously not truancy. What have they said exactly? Can you try informing your local member of parliament and get them to speak out on your behalf to prevent it happening? I listed a link on here some time back where a case in the UK was thrown out of court by the judge. Seems it would be worth showing the MP that (was it in 2009 or 2010?). THere was someone else on here earlier this year or last year who outlined a lot to do with the law - do you remember that?
Maybe some others on here can give you some further guidance. I don't recall anyone on here having been to court yet - but there have been some like yourself threatened with it being the next step.
Hang in there - and see whether you can get others to support you (what about an anxiety organisation?).
Hoping you can find someone to support you in this very soon.
Stay in touch -we are here any time for you.
Linda

Hi Jezebel - this has made me so cross but i really wouldn't worry too much> Although i am not qualified i don't ever think anyone has ever been prosecuted for a geniune SR with anxiety. I was threatened on more than one occassion and in the end with all my defence was slightly disappointed it didn't happen. My understanding is it is for parents who don't co-operate with the authorities not geniune cases. Please remind me what support you are getting ? CAMHS GP etc. Have you contacted Parent Partnership ? As Linda ( hi Linda - hope you are OK ) said your local MP - ours worked wonders !! Stay positive, prosecuting will achieve nothing - keep your diary up to date and take care of yourself. Stay in touch Sarah xx

phew - went to childrens hearing today - it was expected it would then be refered to the sherrif court - but it has been dismissed! so after months of stress about this - we are off the hook

what a relief

That is good news, can't imagine how you are feeling.

Thats fantastic news. Would have been something wrong with our court system if it had gone any further.

Great news! Unbelievable that they put you through all that worry.

Wonderful news Jezebel!! You must be so relieved....I can feel the relief all the way from down under :)
What a pity they put you through all that awful fear and stress beforehand. Some people in these positions just don't get it....they have no idea what they are doing when they not only threaten court but take action to make it happen.
Take care and do something special for you both : )
Linda