school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slightly Annoyed

Well i am slightly annoyed. A friend i have not seen for quite a while has contacted me to say she is now home educating her daughter as she had the same problems as M. As i listened to her telling me her daughter was always having a go at the teachers and couldn't be bothered to go to school so they basically kicker her out i was so mad to think that she thought her daughter was anything like my son.

Some people have no idea.

S X

Re: Slightly Annoyed

Oh Sarah - how different could it be! Having a go at the teacher - can't imagine my son every doing that as he tries so desperately to go under the radar where ever he is! What did you say to her? Or did you just remain quiet - as we all tend to :(

Just saw my son off on an excursion to the city museum. I am so proud of him for getting there. The week has been touch and go as he has been building up the anxiety. They have to go in on the train and we have a new ticketing system - so my son was asking all the 'what if's ' beforehand.

Yesterday I picked my son up from school at lunch time after it looked like I just was not going to be able to get him to school in the morning. I don't like doing deals but I decided that with the excursion coming up - a smooth day beforehand was probably a good idea. He had PE after lunch and hates it.

My ex is very concerned/annoyed and says I have set up a precedent.
Have I? I think only those of us at the front of this each day can know when to give and take. I know it will probably come up again but I have already said it can't - so I just have to cross my fingers and just deal with it if he tries it again.
His father also seems to think that I have to make him face every single fear (but I think sometimes there are too many and I have to drop some out). He also says I have to ensure that the social side is not neglected and even invite other kids round without my son knowing. I don't know about you - but I could not do that. I don't have that kind of relationship with my son. Is this wrong? Should I be so much more objective that I just do things like that behind his back? My son would be so angry if I did that and he found out I had invited them (which they would tell him of course).

Now I find out that his one good friend at school in another class is going away to Europe and UK for 4 months starting next term! And then probably won't be back at at the school next year as they want to send him to a Private School. I felt sick when i heard this. My son does not know this yet - and also doesn't know that this friend will be absent from school all next term. The boy does not want to move schools but his parents are determined to move him as his name has been down at the other school since Primary school. He is such good friends with my son.....it saddens me that this friendship is not seen as important. I know I had hung onto this friendship as helping my son continue his schooling (they walk together sometimes) but.....now I know that next year is going to be another battle (even next term!). Doesn't take much to upset the balance, does it! I will just as usual have to take each hurdle as it comes.

Anyway - having a bit of a whinge here! So glad you feel you are on the other side of it. Hope you don't just disappear and forget to check the site - but you can always find my email in earlier posts and stay in touch.
Take care,
Linda xx

Re: Slightly Annoyed

Hi Linda - no one but no one has the right to question what you are doing when you are doing what you think is right - Ex's uummmm - well don't start me on that one, the only help he gave me was to kick my son up the bum and make him go !!

I so feel for you with your sons friend leaving. This happened to us when we got M back to school only for his friend to be in France when they went back after the summer break, but look on the positive.

We are going away for a week tomorow and so looking forward to the break. Linda i will e mail you my e mail address and you know i will always be there for you, i promise.

Lots of love

Sarah xx