school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
school refusal

hi im grace
and im a child with school refusal it started in primary in year 4 and then whent away again but then started again half way through year seven and i whent to cahms but then got an anxiety about going out of my comfort zone(home and road) so i stopped going and now i get home schooled with tutors at the begining i had a few shakes but now im it s going better but i only have 2 tutors at the moment and i only have 2 or 3 friends i hope this gives u some hope and plz reply

Re: school refusal

Hi Grace,

Thank you for posting and telling us your story, it a really brave thing to do and you should feel proud of yourself. Well done you for persevering with your tutors I am sure it will keep getting better. Try and keep in touch with your friends, they are important but take little steps at a time. My daughter has a home tutor at the moment and she is hoping to try and go to school tomorrow as her confidence has grown with her tutor. If she suceeds we will be so proud of her if it isn't the right time we are still proud because she tried. Keep positive Grace, you have your whole life in front of you and please let us know how you are getting on.

Sue

hi Grace,

It is so lovely to hear from you. Thank you so much for sharing your story. By posting on here you have shown you are very brave. It must have been so hard for you when you were in Year 4 and then later in Year 7. Well done for working with your home tutors. Are you feeling a bit more confident about your work now?

Like Sue has said - keep in touch with your friends - they are important.
It is not easy is it, having anxiety? But what you will have as you work through it, are life skills that other kids just won't have. As Sue says - you have your whole life ahead of you and it just does not matter whether you end up getting an education from school or home. For all children, education never all comes from school anyway.

My son is probably a similar age to you and is still trying to get into school each day. Sometimes he just cannot do it. You would know exactly how he feels. He also doesn't often like going out of his comfort zone of home. He hates the thought also of meeting someone he might know if he is out of the home. He is very happy today - the teachers are on strike so he does not have to go to school.
Good luck - stay strong - and let us know how you go. It is so nice to have your perspective.
Linda xx

Hi Grace - thank you for posting and sharing you story a very brave young lady. My son was a refuser, madie it back to school then it stated again so i understand. What do you think started your problems at school - was there anything in particular ?

Keep in touch and good luck with your studies.

Sarah xx