school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DOCTOR says ITS SCHOOL PHOBIA.

I am 19 year old boy and a patient of school phobia as my doctor told me 7 months before.
I went to college after my high secondary school to an Animation college in PUNE. It is my first time when i am very far approx 650 km. or 12 hrs. far from my parents.

My first day in college was on 15th August 2011, everything was going good, sometimes i used to cry on call then i came for 4 days in November, i return without any problem. then my first semester exams comes in December after completing those exams i again went back to my home and some other places for tour. i come back for college in January 8, that time i was not cry but feeling not same as before. I mean i am really feeling unconscious but that time i hold but when i go back to home in March All the problem started. i always cried and take tension for my studies and i even don't know about my problems.
But still i tried and go 3 time to college but now m feeling very bad and i an thinking that my problem is increasing more.
my 1 year and 6 months are only left for graduation degree but still i am not able to makeup my mind to go for studies.
PLEASE SUGGEST SOME TREATMENT TO ME ON MY MAIL: paragverma.art@gmail.com
my NO. +91-8103630123
+91-8275693693

Re: DOCTOR says ITS SCHOOL PHOBIA.

Dear Parag,

There is no overnight cure for what you are feeling. But what I can say is that you have done very well to get as far as you have. This means that you probably need to start working on ensuring that you look for the positives that you have had in your study journey so far. For example - you made it to college. You have done part of your course. Have you made any friends? Friends are very important to make you feel that you belong in your new place when family are so far away. It is understandable that you would be feeling very lost. Many students who go to study overseas also find this. Is there any student group you can join? Any hobby group you can join?
Have you been back to your doctor and asked for help? Your doctor should be able to give you some advice regarding things that can help you. Ask your doctor about Cognitive Behavior Therapy - that helps us work on our negative thoughts and it does work - as our brains are now recognised as being able to be re-moulded in their thinking. Has he suggested any medication or has he said that it is better not to take it at this stage? Not all medication can help - so sometimes we have to work on our thoughts ourselves. Small steps to gaining confidence.

Sometimes when we feel depressed - our thoughts get stuck - and we need some help to change them. Please go back to your doctor and ask for advice or recommendation to visit someone else who can help.
Don't feel you are alone - there are many others I am sure like you - who have travelled far to study. Getting involved with the community where your study is - can only help support you when you feel bad. You might find that there are other students who are also feeling like you - and don't know who to reach out to. Again - your doctor might be able to suggest such groups that you can make links with.
So remember- you are not alone - and you must go back to your doctor.
Take care and we are here to listen if you want to talk at any time.
Linda

Hello Dear Linda,

Thanks for your support. Your guidance make me strong and help me to feel positive.

I also want to ask you that my doctors is Neuro psychiatrist so, does taking of this medicines affects my creativity and artistic skills as I am in course of ANIMATION AND GAMING in which creativity is very important.

HI Linda, Are you there need to talk you urgently on this.

Can I help?

Available til 10:45pm UK time (20 mins from now)

Simon

Parag, I am so sorry I was not checking the forum recently. It has been three years since we heard from you. Did you finish your course? actually, I notice on the internet that you must have finished and are now either working or looking for work? Did you end up taking medication? did it help? We are here to support, so please get in touch again if you need help or advice as this can be a journey of trying many different things. Hopefully you took up Simon's offer of help. Hear soon...take care
Linda

Hello Linda,

Thanks for your time and reply. I am got well after your suggestions and consulting the doctor, Since then I am taking medicines and in june 2014 I finished my course. But around December 2014 I again started feeling the same which I was going through in 2012.
I used to consult Doctor every month's first Sunday. but I am unable to get back on the track which I came after the medication in 2012. Please help me out I am tired of such things now.
(FYI, I never changed my doctor)

Warm regards,
parag

Hi Parag

I am sorry to hear things are not so good at the moment. You have come a long way and congratulations on finishing your course and finding your way into the animation and design industry. I would imagine it is quite competitive?

I am assuming you are suffering from depression? Often it is learning the skills to manage rather than finding a miracle cure. And once you have these skills or can recognise the signs and get help, in future you might find it much easier.
But there are always new ways and different methods, so don't ever feel that there is no way forward. There is always a new step to be taken but in can take time. Sometimes it also takes several different medications before you can find one that really works for you. Have you suggested to your doctor that you'd like to try a different medication? Or perhaps you need to ask about increaimg the dosage?

There are some organisations and on line help that you might find helpful. When I locate their links I will post again and provide these to you. Meanwhile...hang in there and share how you feel with someone you trust,such a s a family member, friend or colleague.
Linda