school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Irony of school report and how achievement is assessed

Hi

Hope everyone is hanging in there. We are counting down the days here until the holidays start.
I just had to share the irony of the school report we will receive in a couple of weeks. Instead of any comments and grades - there will be only an indication if our child is at the level for that year (due to industrial action from teachers). So for the first time, we will get a report that doesn't say ' due to his absences.....'. What a relief that will be!! So whilst most parents are upset that they won't know if their child did brilliantly or not - I will be quietly glad that my son will go under the radar : ) With the way reports are written these days - you don't get 'what a wonderful effort....etc or 'despite how hard it is for him, he has done really well.....' you just get the blah blah about whether they have achieved the 'outcomes' or not - so I find most of the blurb written a total waste of time over the years!
(So thankful that when I was teaching we could write all kinds of positive comments for individuals).

No one on this site seems to mentions reports. I guess they are not really relevant to us? If teachers aren't allowed to write personally - then it really doesn't mean much to us and our kids, does it. We are not interested in the bench mark for outcomes - we are interested to know if our kids are engaging and if they have actually done something that for them was a real challenge. We just have to know that in our hearts that our kids do their best and that they are completing challenges every day that are not always worth marks or scores or levels of achievement as individuals.
Take care everyone,
Linda

Re: Irony of school report and how achievement is assessed

Hi Linda
I think of school attendance or even the intention of school attendance as an achievement for my daughter. I think R doesn't actually take much in at all in the classroom, more like she is just focusing on getting through the day. I therefore try not to take school reports to heart. I tell myself that there will always be opportunity to learn at any stage in life. When the circumstances are better.
Kind regards
Jacqui