school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Refusal Support Group Starting Up In Surrey

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on this site for a few months - I will have a catch-up sometime soon and read through all the posts to see how everyone's doing.

I saw this posted on a Facebook page today and thought I'd let you all know about it in case anybody is not too far away.

A school refusal support group for parents is being set up in Surrey (UK). First meeting is next Wed 12 Dec in the evening. Have a look at the details here http://familyvoicesurrey.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=21&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01returnid=65#.UMHTteTX5RV

Sharon

Re: School Refusal Support Group Starting Up In Surrey

This is great news Sharon. The more support out there the better, I hope this group brings comfort and support to it's members and inspiration and greater awareness to others. I will add the link to Simon's resource thread as this may be an ideal link to add to the resource section.

Hi Sharon,

That sounds great - more like that needed. Are you in Surrey?
Perhaps whoever can go to this can update us on what it is and who set it up (parent, psychologist or community support) to help anyone else who might be able to set up a group.
I still can't get over the fact that there are no support groups that I can find in the whole of Australia - either on the internet or at local ground level (although I'd probably miss some of those). But certainly non in my home town that any anxiety organisation or the Monash researchers are aware of. Yet in each school of over 1000 there must be at least 3-5 kids?
Thanks Sharon....and how are things going with you? Glad you dropped by again.
Take care,
Linda

Hi There
I also live in Australia and am currently managing a 13 year old boy with school anxiety. I WOULD love to hear about any support groups in Sydney as this is a very lonely journey!!!!!!

Hi Angela,

Glad you found this forum! It was my life saver a few years ago.
There just seems to be nothing in Australia that offers support. I have searched and searched.
I belong to the Anxiety Association of Victoria - and you will have one in Sydney similar. They do have some seminars for school refusal but they are always on the other side of town from me (I'm down in Melbourne) and I feel I am kind of the expert now anyway.
How long have you been going through this with your son?
You are not alone - there are lots of us out here. There have been just a couple of other Australians who have come on here but non from Sydney yet.
I presume you have come across this below:
http://www.sch.edu.au/articles/?type=3&doc=25
and
http://www.cecnsw.catholic.edu.au/dbpage.php?pg=specialschools

Is your son seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist? How supportive is the school? Is your son able to attend at all or is he at home every day? Would love to hear back from you and feel free to email me if you want.
Take care -
Linda