school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Words of hope from a recovered school refuser

I came across this article on parenting.co.uk today written by a caring father whose teenage son was a school refuser. Near the end of the article he quotes something his son had written about his experiences of being a school refuser and what happened to trigger his decision to move forward again in his life. Very inspiring to read:-

"Anyone who saw me now would believe I was just a normal kid. A kid who has a family, has friends and goes to school. But I used to sit in school, excluded from the crowd - alone, afraid and wondering to myself, How long until the end of the day? Finally, the bell would ring and with it came a feeling of utter joy, happiness and relief. I would push open the door and run, like an animal released into the wild after a period of captivity. I would run home, open the front door, go upstairs, slam my bedroom door and cried.

I could tell people were mad at me. I could tell people wanted me back at school… and now! But it wasn't going to happen. Not just like that. I could see it in their faces. Every time I went out of the house, I had to avoid certain places, avoiding people, because I was scared of what they might say. In fact, I was scared of everything.

One day off school turned into two. Two turned into a week. Suddenly, before I knew it, it was a whole school term. The longer I stayed at home, the harder I felt it would be to ever go back. I could feel it inside, it was getting worse. I was becoming more frustrated, more alone.I felt like I would never go back to school. Ever.

During this time, I admit my relationship with my dad was not quite as strong as it had been before. I could sense in him that he couldn't understand why I wouldn't go to school. There was a period where I even dreaded the thought of him coming to visit for the weekend. I was too ashamed, embarrassed and scared. I was scared of what he might ask, what he might say, what he might do. I had no hope, and my confidence was at an all time low.

I had no trust in anyone: my parents, my friends, my therapist, and even myself. I had no trust that it was going to be alright. I thought I had gone into a dark cave and that I was never going to come out!
Then, after having probably the worst week of my life, I decided I can't live on like this. I realized that I was going to end up killing myself.

So I went and got the computer, sat down, and emailed my dad. It was time to return to school.
To cut a long story short, I did get back into school. I moved to Brussels and now I'm enjoying school more than ever! And if I have learned one thing, it would be this: You cannot live life without belief - belief in others, belief in life and most important of all belief in yourself".

Here is a link to the complete article:-

http://www.parenting.co.uk/education/School-Refusal.cfm

Re: Words of hope from a recovered school refuser

I wonder if I should have my son read that article. Now that he is in school again he would like to forget about it.

Re: Words of hope from a recovered school refuser

Terskac
I wonder if I should have my son read that article. Now that he is in school again he would like to forget about it.

Maybe once the whole thing is a bit further behind him, the article might inspire him to share some of his own experiences of SR and how he felt/feels? Just as validation of each other on similar experiences we are going through as parents of SR's really helps us to feel understood and supported, I am guessing it would be similar for our children too. Sharing with people who have been where we have and really 'get it' is a vital part of recovery imo.

My daughter hasn't read the article yet but on a day where she is 'open' to it, I will see if she would like to learn from another teen's experiences with SR.