school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another year goes by

Hi everyone,

Two weeks till Christmas...we are heating up down here whilst you are all going in for the big chill : )
My son theoretically still has another week of school but we are over school now! So he is finishing up today. Such a relief to finally have the first year of secondary school behind us.
Yesterday, two friends from primary school turned up on our doorstep and asked him to hang out with them. He went off with a smile and came back with an even bigger smile. Such a pity they don't go to the same school.
We start the medication tomorrow. I am hoping my son is motivated enough to take it as school is behind him for awhile.
Although we have a long holiday - I will check the forum frequently to offer any help or support. Hang in there -

All the best for Christmas - take care - sending some warmth from down under to help you on your way : )
Linda xx

Re: Another year goes by

Linda, I can sense your relief. Not because the holidays means we or our kids have to stop trying to recover but because the pressure eases off for a bit, ENJOY, ENJOY! Our hols start in around a weeks time, not as long as yours but enough for some family respite

Holidays worry me because it seems that it is hard for my child to go back.

Give the medication time. It may take a month for an SSRI to start helping to keep your child calm enough to do what needs to be done.

Linda

I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas, it's time to forget all about school and just enjoy family time.

My thoughts go out to all the families living this nightmare.

Happy Christmas

Take care
Dorothy x

What a relief, our holidays start tomorrow until 3rd Jan. Myself, d and d's dad met with SC today at a cafe near the school. D was more responsive than usual when attending meetings at school or our home so at least SC got to see her interacting a bit more and speaking for herself etc.

Current expectations from education are that she accesses her education in some way via school, though I guess gradual is acceptable as opposed to no attendance which has been our lives for the last 3 months.

I don't even want to think about it, just concentrate on enjoying the holidays and supporting d in connecting with her life in general. We go on a short break away tomorrow to see a friend and will be attending a music concert on Thurs. Its an early bday treat and I'm hoping it will lift her spirits. Being in amongst 1000's of gig goers will be a big achievement - then again it isn't a school setting.

Merry Christmas to you all and I hope the new year brings more authentic understanding and support for our children and us. Enjoy the holidays, Clarity :)