school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not wanting to swallow tablets

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any problem with their child not wanting/having anxiety about tablet swallowing which has prevented them from taking medication for anxiety?
My son has always had a problem with tablets but has hardly ever had to take any but even when I broke the tablets into small bits he refused point blank to swallow them as he claimed he'd gag on them.
It has taken me all this time to come to terms with giving my son medication and suddenly we have hit a brick wall before he's even started! Any suggestions?
Linda

Re: Not wanting to swallow tablets

So sorry to hear this Linda. It must be so frustrating for you.

You have probably thought of it but have you tried crushing the tablet down to a find powder and mixing it in some undiluted juice so he won't taste it as he swallows it down? or putting the powder in some food?

I wonder if his reluctance is about taking meds more than it is about the tablet itself?

I hope you get some progress with this soon.

Enjoy the holidays - such a relief not to have to think about school pressures all the time.

Hugs to you from across the oceans, Clarity

Ask a pharmacist before crushing pills. Some of them must be swallowed whole. Perhaps there is a liquid form of the drug you can get instead.

Thanks Clarity and Therskac.
I did try the crushed in chocolate mousse....but the respone came back 'too bitter'. But luckily he therefore had a go at swallowing again and bingo....we have started. He is reluctant to take them and has to be reminded and no computer until he does take them - but hopefully it will just become a habit.

I just learnt that I have been refused 'carer' payment by the government. They have just made these radical changes to support for single parents and so I lost any support along those lines - so the psychiatrist said I had a good chance with the carer payment as I just can't work with the way my son currently is. But....got knocked back. I will appeal. They said I can have a very small allowance instead....which would leave me busking in the streets - so they really have no idea about mental health issues, do they!? They sent the letters on Christmas eve.....so nice of them : (
I know that many of you who are single parents in the UK have had no option but to work and leave your child at home - which I can only begin to know how that must have felt. In that respect, I have been very lucky until now. With my son starting his SR so early - then leaving him at home has not been an option for me and I still wouldn't be able to feel safe leaving him. I think they probably think because he is only 13 then he is fine....despite the psychiatrist signing an accompanying document to say otherwise.
So it will be an interesting few months as we juggle money and I see if I can find a few hours work that will top the payments up or put in the energy to fight for more support (do we have any energy left!).
Anyway - hope all of you are enjoying the break. Hope you are not flooded in - some areas sound pretty bad in the UK.
Lots of thoughts going your way from down under : )
Linda xx