school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what the hell happens now?

Hi all,
I've had some great support and advice from you all on here and it's good to know that others do understand and care. As previously said my son has had issues with attending school on and off for about 2.5 years now. He went in this Monday following a meeting with the attendance officer last week, because they said he MUST be at school. But I think the stress involved with getting there was too much as he didn't go yesterday. Now there is another HUGE problem for him to deal with - his girlfriend spoke to him last night and it appears she could be pregnant! I have tried to be reassuring, but inside I am in turmoil - what do we do, he can barely manage his own life at the moment, let alone a new one. He was very upset last night and saying that there is no point in going to school now anyway as it would be wrong to follow his plans, if she has to give up on hers.
We do have another appointment with the GP later today, I am going to ask that he is referred again to CAMHS, but really don't know which way to go in respect of this cloud hanging over us. Any suggestions?

Re: what the hell happens now?

Oh dear Mandy - that really has thrown a spanner in the works! I am sorry I don't know what I'd do in the same circumstances but I can only assume that when you all pick yourselves up off the floor - some ways forward might come to mind.
In terms of what your son needs to do - perhaps it is actually even more important now that he follows his plans - vital even? That is if the decision is made to go ahead with all this...depending on what everyone's viewpoint is....which I would imagine is extremely sensitive right now.
If she is pregnant and decides to go ahead - then they would both need a lot of counselling, don't you think?
My heart goes out to you....I am sorry I can't think of the right words - but feel free to come on here at any time to talk.
Linda