school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
my son

Hi all,
Just wanted to post up here, further to my recent posts, we had the meeting with the Ed Welfare Officer, which didn't go too badly, but still left me feeling that really my son should be in school and how important it is that he is there and did he understand the implications of not going, etc. Really?!
I said he had been very upset at the thought of me being prosecuted and this in turn had made him more anxious, that he wanted desperately to be there and also that we had seen the GP again for a referral to CYPS(used to be CAMHS).
I did point out that although there is a school nurse, she is only there on a Tuesday afternoon, and that he would benefit from having someone no-teaching based to go to if there were any issues/problems.
Anyway the outcome was, she said there would be a meeting after the half term at the school and she would be sending a form to fill in re the GP referral (medical evidence is one of few legitimate accepted reasons for non- attendance).
All I am hoping is that my son can get into school, at least for some of the time and see out the next 10 weeks, try to catch up on the missed work and sit some of his GCSEs, then he is not under any legal obligation to stay at the school to be educated post-16, he could go to college.
Also as far as he knows from his girlfriend, the test was negative, so I am keeping my fingers crossed on that issue. Roll on summer!

Re: my son

Good luck Mandy.
My son didn't get to school today : (
Hope your son feels a bit stronger soon.
Linda

Mandy,

I am not sure that the prospect of coming off the school roll is necessarily a good thing as we no longer have the back up of the 'system' when we need it. It is good to get the authorities off our backs, but there are times when we need the resources that are available (if we can access them).

My advice is to make sure that you have support systems in place before you make the break.

I hope that you both enjoy your half term.

Simon

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your reply and concern, I understand what you say about having the resources, etc, but it is so majorly stressful for all concerned I just think being away from the school environment and in a more laid back one, where the kids are treated with, I think, more respect and not like 'children' will be far more beneficial to my son (and perhaps quite a lot of kids the same age).
We have still been struggling over the last week or so, he made it in today for the first time in 2 weeks, but only after a major panic attack, where he thought he was going to die 'cos he couldn't breathe. He managed just over 2 hours and is hoping to do the same tomorrow and Friday if I promise to pick him up at lunchtime, which I've said I will. On the plus side we do have an appointment for the CYPS on 28 Feb (which just happens to be my eldest daughter's 21st birthday!). We also have a meeting with the attendance officer and the Ed Welfare lady at the school on Friday this week, which I really am not looking forward to, as I know they're just going to spout off the 'Mike really needs to be in school every day' thing again and not listen to the fact that I know my son better than them and he knows all this and is carrying huge guilt over it! Anyway, I'm off to get him from his mates house (he went to ask if he would meet him tomorrow at school and be with him).
thanks again,
Mandy