school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This Morning

Just to let you know that later in the month the program "This Morning" is dedicating time to talk about School Phobia - at long last it is being hi lighted and i will be putting my views across and in the middle of writing a lengthy e mail to the studios.

You can get more info by logging onto their webiste or like their FB page - some of the comments will make you cry some will make you angry.

The more of us that contribute the better so lets start making the experts listen.

Love to you all

Sarah x

PS for those of you who are new to the site i had a SR son for 5 years and we struggled (Linda was always there for me xx) but his life has turned around - he is 17 now and we are looking forward to a bright future for him after 5 years of sheer hell.

Re: This Morning

Apologies it was on this morning - i managed to get it recorded, just watched it and sobbed the whole way through.
x

Re: This Morning - school phobia programme

I don't know if the programme has a geographical limitation, but for those of us in the UK, it can be viewed here: http://www.itv.com/thismorning/life/school-phobia

Simon - did you watch it ? i cried the whole way through and then to read some of the nasty comments on their facebook page was just awful.

Sar x

I caught up this evening - just reading Facebook comments now: http://www.facebook.com/ThisMorning?fref=ts

Not sure what my reaction is yet...

Wonderful to see that at last School Phobia is being talked about. I have read some of the comments on the This Morning facebook page and it is shocking how many people have children going through this or have suffered it themselves. As for the negative comments I just bypass them because as usual they are made by people the type of who we all meet or have met every day, that have absolutely no comprehension of what our kids are going through.

Only pity about the program was that our half term was last week so the teachers at my daughters school won't have seen it. I think all teachers should be made to watch it and to read through all the comments on facebook, they then might realise that the child does not choose to do this, it is something they have no control over.

Sue

I watched it today on itv iplayer, so sad. My son has autism and anxiety and has been school refusing since Sept. Definately all teachers and Sencos and Heads should see it. I asked for help from my son's primary but they ignored me.

Hi

When I went to the site it said that the program could not be found. Do they only keep them up for a day or two? Do they have archives?
Linda

Linda - will find out and let you know. xx

Happy to hear that this topic is being talked about on mainstream tv. Thanks for the links, I will watch on iplayer when I can.