school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Intensive Outpatient Therapy

My son's new therapist recommended he try something called intensive outpatient therapy. It is three days per week and last three hours each session. The entire program takes about a month. He was interviewed today for the program and will be admitted. It is group therapy and there are two therapists with the group of about ten kids. He of course wants nothing to do with talking in a group.

His meds don't work at all anymore. He is having anxiety attacks several times per day. He has been unable to attend class for the past week.

I sure hope this helps.

Re: Intensive Outpatient Therapy

Hi Terskac,

I really hope this works for your son. It sounds like he does need some intense work but group situations are always daunting. i hope that you manage to get him there or if not that they are willing to offer stepping stones into the therapy - maybe starting with one on one?
It must be very hard for you at the moment. Are the panic/anxiety attacks related to thinking about school or not school related anymore? Have they suggested trying other medication?
Let us know how things are - and feel free to come on here and just share with others.
Take care,
Linda xx

Hi Terskac

Are the other adolescents in the group also school phobic/refusers? Or is it for a range of anxiety problems?

If your son is able to attend and just listen for a session or two, that may benefit him not to feel so isolated and validate him that other children suffer with anxiety too.

I really hope he is able to benefit in some way from this therapy, please let us know how it is going. Clarity

He refused to go on the third day because he was having anxiety attacks while in the group sessions. We took him to the hospital where he was readily admitted for severe depression and anxiety.

Sad.