school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prosecution papers served - D14's school refusal

I have a 14year old daughter who has only got 14% attendancethis year. I have had problems since she was small dragging in kicking and screaming and even in her pj i changed schools in y1 of primary and although there were times when she used to say she was sick most of the time she would go.

when she started secondary school it all started again in y7 she constantly had time off saying she was dizzy,stomach ache headaches etc i grew concerned and went into school thinking she was being bullied. when she got into year8 she was ok for a few weeks but then without my knowledge she was truenting. when the school picked up on it i tried everything inmy power to get her there from trying to drag her consequences and rewards if she gotthere but nothing seemed to work, i was so glad when it was the 6 week hols.

at home her behaviour got worse and when she had to go back in y9 she managed for 8 days then it started all over again i have got to a point where i go into het bedroom in the morning and say r u going she will either turn over or just tell me where to go. i have tried allsorts including a manage move with another school and she was referred to apru where again she still refusded.

lots of people have tried tobecome involved including psychologists but she won t engage with them.

I am now waiting for court proceedings after papers have been filed for prosecution, i don t know if she cares or not. I tried to get her to school before half term as after an incentive to go to alton towers for her birthday. I managed to get her to school in uniform but then refused to get her in school after her having an anxieity attack

today she managed to go in as long as it was in reflect she promised to have a go but is now refusing to go tomorrow. #

the worse part about it all is that she is bright. today she did an end of year9 maths paper and come out with a B but i hav got past bothering about gcses i just need her in school

Moved post from Forum Info to School Refusal

http://www.schoolrefuser.org.uk/forum.html#bn-forum-1-1-1014515854/6138/907717/show

Michelle posted the above intro post on 28th February in Forum Information as a response to Rosamund Cole's misplaced intro post there. I only just spotted it today and so have copy and pasted it over as a new thread here on School Refusal forum so she will get more views and responses. Clarity

Re: Moved post from Forum Info to School Refusal

Hi
I can only say i know what you are going through. I have a 15 yr old son who is exactly the same amd have been threatened with prosecution. I have 2 weeks for him to increase his attendance from 50 to 90 % or i will be served. The school do not treat him as an individual. We have asked to drop subjects to ease the stress but they wont let him. He is also severely dyslexic, They are only interested in numbers through the door. It is so awful for these children. I have tried numerous places but can not find anyone who understanda these children and can offer them help and support. They just look at you as abad parent with a naughty child. I have 3 older children who get on fine but they dont see that.
I hope you find something to help. My sister ended up home schooling her daughter who is doing very well apart from the social side. If you find a magic answer , please let me know. Ros

Re: Moved post from Forum Info to School Refusal

Hi Michelle and Rosamund (and Clarity)

Thank you so much Clarity for moving this posting across - totally missed it myself.
I hope Michelle comes back to check and finds we didn't meant to not respond : (

Michelle - how are things now? When people are threatened with prosecution on here - they are often referred to a case in the UK where it was thrown out of court by the judge. The article on this is in the resource section on this website. It is worth copying and giving to those who have taken the action to get to the prosecution stage. Also make sure you keep all notes ....dates....steps you have taken to help your daughter ,advice you have given the school (even if they never listened) and what lack of support has been out there.

And Rosamund,the fact that they are not taking notice of the dyslexia means that they have neglected to offer the education that each child requires. So the school has failed and that in itself might stop the prosecution going further. If you can find wording from the education authorities...government etc on what responsibility each school has to educate each and every child - that would also go in your favour.

Our children have 'special needs' and the schools fail them on so many levels because it is not a 'label' that they want to accept. Our children have an 'anxiety disorder' and so labelling them as 'school refusers' is just too general and is a symptom of what illness they have.
Let us know how things are, Michelle. Everyone on here is very supportive and understands just what you and your daugher are going through.
Take care and hear from you soon - and yourself also Rosamund...hoping you have been able to hold off the prosecution.
Linda xx