school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good luck for the start back of school

Hi everyone,

For all those of you starting back to school this week - I do wish you well. We are all on this road together and no matter what happens this week - don't despair - there are answers out there and there is hope.

We are doing everything we can to help our children get support for their mental well being as well as get an education. Don't let us be worn down by the schools and education authorities who find it easier to blame us as parents than find ways to work with our children. Education does not have to be just from a school environment.

Meanwhile we can just embrace our children and let them know we are there for them no matter what happens.
Take some time out just for yourself this week - whether your child goes to school or not - just let yourself reconnect with your strengths and interests...at least we can have that as our goal and it might help if things get tough.
Take care everyone - small steps or even tiny steps are all good. Fingers crossed for my own son as well as everyone else in the same situation.
Linda xx

Re: Good luck for the start back of school

Thanks Linda has been a tough morning, but she is now upstairs getting ready to go in for break until lunch, so a mediumishe step today, 1 week today until CAHMS meeting as well.

Thinking of every1 else today as well, but least the sun is shining today hey xxxx

Thanks for such a thoughtful message.
I'm in the middle of all this too. Today was a positive step. DD got up, dressed went to registration and the first half of a double science lesson. She really wanted to stay but got anxious as the bell went and came out of the lesson, then home and completed all her home learning and even a bit of homework. Tiny steps, positive thinking, and wishing you all well over the next few weeks.
Linda is right take time for yourself too, a happy, relaxed parent plays a big part in how our children feel too.

Thanks Linda and all here

We spent the last week of the holidays in mainland UK for my aunt's final battle with cancer. I was worried that the upset would throw d off balance going back to school but she went in with only minor complaints, she has also moved back to her dad's home again where school officials say she must stay until she is attending all lessons again.

I am returning to UK for funeral and to help with packing up my aunt's home and both my d's will be staying with their dad and step mum in my absence. Although it is a sad occasion losing my aunt, I am actually looking forward to having a break from parent duties for a few days.

I am long overdue a good old moan about the school system and how they have been treating our situation. The school counsellor verbally attacked me in a meeting before the easter holidays in front of x co-parent and the EWO. I have since made steps via d's social worker (thankfully who is lovely) to have the SC removed from our case. I will share more in a new thread about it when I have time.

Sending my good wishes to all struggling and managing this difficult road. Clarity

Hi Linda

How has the return to school gone for your son? You put such strong messages of support out there for all of us; I hope all is going well for you.

best wishes

Jacqui

Clarity

I'm sending you a hug over the internet. Hope you can feel it.

Jacqui

Thanks for your question, Jacqui. The school only went back yesterday and he luckily went in well. Today a bit of a struggle - but got there for second class.

I do believe the medication has really helped - which is great - I can't complain - but have to admit that this morning I felt sick when he wouldn't get out of bed and went in late. I just had all those familiar scenarios filling my head and I have to admit I did get rather cross with him.
My fingers are crossed with each day...

Take care everyone -
Linda

awwww Linda i was the same with my daughter on monday she wouldnt get out of bed either n i ended up shouting at her in the end which then resulted in lots of tears, i left her for 10minutes then went back and said sorry and gave her a hug, but explained to her somedays i just cant help it and the shouting comes out of my mouth b4 my brain thinks about it....its so frustrating so i no how u feel after chatting to her and giving her more encouragement she went in for a few hours that day and has continued to have quite a positive week so far she has been in every day if only for a few hours but its progress and im pleased with her.

Just wanted to say really that u not the only one who gets cross with their kids so dont feel bad, and i agree with jackie your replys to myself and others has been a great encouragement to me so thank you xx

I have parents evening tonight so that should be fun!!!!!!

Thanks for your kind words Jo and for the reminder regarding ok to get cross.

Glad to hear that your daughter is still managing to go in - that is great.
My son also managed again today

WE had parent teacher interviews on Tuesday and whilst I picked up the positives, my ex picked up the negatives (ie not completing work at home or school) and decided it was time for a 'big talk'. Sadly this was the day before school re started for the term. My son's esteem plummeted and I spent the rest of the day reassuring him that in fact he was doing well and that I was pleased with his progress in attendance and we'd just take one step at a time.
At least for me the teachers seemed better this time as they had their own ideas and support. Last year the year level coordinator told them all to give no individual strategies of their own or offer help as he wanted a 'uniform' approach.
I didn't know they had been told this but became suspicious when each teacher seemed negative and almost stand offish and gave no ideas of what they might do in the class to assist. So I asked the coordinator what was going on - and that is when I found out. I do not know what he expected to achieve.

Hope your experience at parent teacher interviews has many positives, even the small things count.
Good luck
Linda[