school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How is your week?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering how everyone is coping this week? Now that people don't include their emails and therefore have notification when someone replies - the interaction is a bit slower than in the past. But I do hope that the silence is good news for most?

We had a slight hiccup yesterday when my son was late for school and then started to panic and it went from 'I'll go in next lesson....to the next lesson...and then driving around and him not wanting to get out of the car. Finally he got out at midday and went in. This is unusual for him at the moment. It shows me that whilst things are improved - they are still under the surface. This week they are having tests every day - and that extra pressure (and his lack of concentration on study) has meant his anxiety is heightened and came forth again. But the good part, for any of you at the crossroads - is that he did make it back into school and although late today again - not as late as yesterday.
The medication at the level he is taking helps but not when the anxiety is heightened. But with his bit of maturity now - he can see he still has to work through it. Have to admit those old feelings gnawing at my stomach come back...but nothing like we used to go through.
I wish all of you some steps forward this week and if there are any backwards - look on it as a hiccup as I have done for yesterday. Take care everyone and remember to find some time for yourself - you are all doing the best you can.
Linda xx

Re: How is your week?

Hi Linda, so pleased that he managed to go in even if he was late, some is better than none is what i say, and hope that he has kept it up, i know the feeling in your stomach u get is so awful and when they go in its like phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

The last 2 weeks have been better here so far she has only refused to go in 1 day out of 9 which is a major improvement she has started attending her english class as well now she has been moved out of her original class into a small one at my request, i can feel a hiccup coming on tommorow tho as my other children have no school for polling day and she has which she is not happy with, like you i have THAT feeling that tommorow is going to be a refusal, if it is i will just have to hope she goes back in on friday, then again she may surprise me and go in tommorow.

Camhs wernt that helpful and said by the time she waited to see one of there counsellors she could see the school one so she is now seeing her once a week, lets see what happens there, im too convinced if im honest.

xxxx