school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TV program

hi everyone,

There is going to be a a segment on a TV program in Australia on Channel 7 (Today Tonight) about school refusal and social anxiety in teenagers. I will let you know when it will show and if it can be viewed on-line.
A friend of mine has been asked to participate and they will also be interviewing those doing research into School Refusal at Monash University in Melbourne. I have decided not to be involved as I don't want to put my son in a difficult position when he is just beginning to move forward - but I will be supporting my friend in what she can contribute/say.
It won't be indepth as this is a commercial channel and the program always has several stories. But it might be a chance to get some of our messages across.

Is there anything specific that any of you would recommend that needs to be said on such a program? Something aimed at parents, teachers, schools etc? I know this is not the UK - but the issues we are facing seem to be the same. My feeling is that schools need to be so much more understanding and accept that anxiety is a real issue/disorder and they have to be flexible in order for our children to be able to attend or move forward. And that parents need to get help for their child as soon as possible. What else?

The idea for the segment evidently came from a recent article in a Brisbane (Queensland) that gave a story of a teenage boy who has not been able to leave his house for two years. After reading this, the journalist decided they would do something in Melbourne on the issue of social anxiety or/and school refusal.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/the-lost-boy-brisbane-teen-refuses-to-leave-house/story-fngqim8m-1226656879502

My friend's son has now been going to school for the past couple of years after a terrible start to secondary school - and unable to attend school at all for much of Year 7 and 8. He was then put on medication - had to try various sorts to find one that worked - and he was then able to move forward and is now in Year 11 and doing well. It is a story that always gives me hope.
I will give more details when the date gets closer.

I hope you are all managing - hanging in there....remember - you are not alone - there are all of us here on the forum and so many more who have not yet found the forum or other help.
Take care
Linda