school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EWO

Hi all, i have a meeting with EWO on weds at my daughters school after being referred to them by her school her attendance is 40% i have been sent the leaflet advising me of fines and prosecution.

Has any1 else had meeting with these b4 if so is there any advice you can give me, i have typed up all my notes and records of times she has attended, to take with me, is there anything else i may need that proved to be of use in this situation.

The school have said that if she doesnt attend a lesson say at 9am for instance but i do manage to get her in say from 10am for a few lessons then this will still go down as an unauthorised absence and not a late mark or even a half day

Any advice would be appreciated or an in sight into what happened if you have been to one of these meetings.

Many thanks

jo

xxx

Re: EWO

Hi Jo

There have been others on here - Hopefully someone will respond directly to your post.
In regards to attendance and what is regarded as 'unauthorised attendance' - I would question what that means and what can be done to remedy that.
My son's school has a cut off point of 10am and then he is recorded as absent (unauthorised) even if he arrives late. If, however, I contact them before that time by phone or email - and explain that it is the on-going anxiety/medical condition - and I get him there after 10 with a note from me then he is recorded as being present and authorised.
The school has a medical certificate from my doctor in regard to my son's anxiety that covers me for the year and so on the note I write I just say something like 'please excuse my son for being late due to on-going medical issues.'
Not sure if this helps you sort out that one or not but definitely worth questioning them. If my son arrives late to school and does not go to the office with my note - then it gets recorded as an unauthorised absence. Too many of these could lead to them suspecting truancy and not school refusal.

Remember that the school should be offering all the support they can as your daughter has a mental health issue. Do you have any paperwork in regard to a diagnosis - on going assistance (has she been seeing a psychologist etc).
Don't let them play the blame game - she is your daughter and you know her best - and you are doing all you can to help with the situation.
By the way - have you looked at the possibility of cognitive behaviour therapy with medication?
Good luck - let us know how things go.
Linda

Hi again Jo,

This is the advice Sarah gave to Clarity who posted on the forum about having a meeting with the EWO.
Linda

"You will be absolutley fine - is your daughter going too ? If she can't make it don't worry.

Does your daughters school have a parent support worker who can be there to support you ? if not try and phone parent partership who can also offer assistance."

Thank you Linda, she has no medical diagnosis im afraid and is not on medication, she currently sees the school counsellor as cahms could not get her in and did not see her as a high priority.

They dont think she has anxiety issues (the school) just think she is choosing to pick and choose her lessons and when se goes in although they have witnessed her panic attacks and meltdowns in the past .

I will let u no how it goes thanks linda for your support dont no what id do without this site tbh xxx

hi Jo

Can you get a diagnosis from your local doctor? Might be a start if Cahms do not see her as high priority.
Make sure you tell them this at the meeting so that they know that your observations have not been followed through by CAHMS. Tell them at the meeting that this is what you intend to do.
So often those who do not understand anxiety think that our children are misbehaving and putting on a tantrum when they have a meltdown or panic attack - so we are the ones, sadly, that have to just keep educating others.
Dress up a bit for the meeting and have all your notes in order so that at least you 'look' like you are on top of things - even if you are not. I have found this approach has helped me in the past.

Did I ask if you had been in touch with Parent partnership in your area?
www.parentpartnership.org.uk
I understand that sometimes they will even attend a meeting with you - depending perhaps on their availability.

Good luck and stay in touch with us on here - its a tough road and you are not alone here.
Take care
Linda

Our school did not believe my daughter had anxiety despite a telephone call from camhs, 2 GP letters a a letter from myself. The reported me to the EWO who told them to follow their procedure. This doc is very useful for school refusers and EWO's dont us knowing about it. The school have made a judgment based on their obserations and not the facts, http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/health%20needs%20guidance%20%20-%20revised%20may%202013%20final.pdf

See if you can get a GP letter to support u, I would ask the EWO how he plan to help you as he has a duty to help families get they children to school. Also

Ask for a CAF assessment.

The school and La are discriminating, under the equality act the school have a duty to make reasonable adjustments. I would seek legal advise before your meeting on wednesday

All the best x

Jo

Hi - to be perfectly honest i found our EWO very helpful, she supported us no end so hopefully you will get a good one.

Parent Parternship are fantasic as Tracey said and see if your school has a Parent Support Worker - again great help.

I know it's hard but keep your chin up and just show them that you are co-ooperating and doing your best.

Sarah x

Thank you Tracey and Sarah for your advice i have looked into parent partnership and will be mentioning it tommorow, havent really got time to seek legal advice now before the meeting, so will see how it goes, fingers crossed this officer is a nice one then.

I have printed off my diary notes, and have a list of points i want to raise and querys regarding the way the school handles some situations.

If the EWO asks for a copy of my diary notes should i give them to her as these have my personal opinions and thought in them, but dont want to come accross unco-operatie, what do u guys think???

My meetings at 9.30 will update you all when im back, and thank you linda i have sorted out my smart clothes so at least i will look good even though im in pieces inside although am very nervous about tommorow am holding up quite well just hoping that my dd cooperates when they speak to her.

Thanks again all

xxx

Jo

xxx

Good luck Jo - let us know how you go.
I'd suggest if they ask for your notes that you offer to make a copy and forward (and then type them up for them). I wouldn't give them the notes to copy themselves with your personal reflections - depending on what you say of course - but I have some emails that I have printed out and written my personal reactions to - and wouldn't want to include them!! Go by what you feel is appropriate- but don't feel that you ' have' to do what they say on the spot.
Getting back to them is perfectly fine.

You'll be ok : )
Linda

Hi, just to let you no the meeting went a lot better than i had expected, the lady who was the EWO was very nice and turned out we was from the same area and went to the same school even tho we dont live there now lol.....small world we live in!!!!

The school were actually very supportive of me saying that im always in contact with them and that i am cooperative in different ways to get dd to school, so that was a bit of a surprise as i was worried they were going to stitch me up.

It was agreed that dd is to attend 4 lessons that r on her reduced timetable for the next 2 1/2 weeks, then after the 6 weeks she is to start going back into her lessons gradually hoping to be back in them all full time by october half term. They are going to work with her anxiety issues more with the counciller and she is talk to them more about her fears as they arise instead of just saying shes not going in that lesson, they will look at her seating plans in class as well.

All looks good on paper but as we no its easier said than done, but at least this week she has done all the lessons she is meant to, her attendance at the moment is on 39%, they have suggested that i try to get her into some after school clubs out of the area to encourage her to make friends as this seems to be the underlying problem, and if the clubs are out of the area no1 will no her so she wont worry about thinking they dont like her or are talking about her.

She was told the consequences of her not attending school, penalty notice, prosecution or a support order where they get involved for a year and take control of the situation??????? oh and i got cautioned as well which i wasnt expecting.

Roll on the 19th when they break up from school and can have a rest from all this, hope you all are having a better week and thank you ever so much for all your advice about my meeting it helped me loads.

xxx

jo

xxx

jo
oh and i got cautioned as well which i wasnt expecting.
You GOT cautioned? Or might, in the future?
Sounds worrying?

Hi simon,

I have put that a bit blase' havent I, but was at the end of my post and realised i hadnt put that bit, but yes i WAS cautioned, the EWO asked every1 to leave the room and then read it out i was so took back and shocked that I cant even tell you what she said, other than im afraid i have to caution you and anything you say will be taken in eveidence, although i didnt sign anything to say she had done this, so am a bit confused by it all,

jo