school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Council want a diagnosis

I have been trying to get the council to provide education as my DD has been out of school for 42 days or more and not receiving education. They are adamant that they need a diagnosis before the will provide my daughter with any education. They also claim they have checked and been advised that they are paying due regard to Statutory Guidance; specifically, ‘Ensuring a good education for children who cannot attend School because of health needs’ (Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities January 2013) and ‘Alternative Provision’ (Statutory Guidance 2013). I asked them why the council needed a diagnosis and this is they reply'

We want to ensure any school placement, alternative placement, home tuition or another intervention meets the pupil’s educational, health needs and medical recommendations. Therefore, we need to have an assessment of pupil need before placements or alternative provision placements can be made.
'
I believe this is a a blanket policy and they not following the guidance. They keep referring to CAMHs and the CAF assessment

I have made a complaint to the Council's Chief Executive. Not too hopeful with her either,
Dont know what to do now any help would be grateful

]

Re: Council want a diagnosis

hi Tracey

Has there ever been a meeting with CAMHS?
To move things along a bit - are you able to get your doctor to give a diagnosis of some kind? Or do they specifically say it has to come from CAMHS?
Often a diagnosis is required before help is forthcoming. I guess they are just trying to cover themselves and fill in the paper work and tick all the boxes. Is there a particular reason why you feel you should not have to have a specific diagnosis?
Is your daughter receiving help from elsewhere?
Sorry if you have already explained in another post -
Take care
Linda

CAMHS won't give a diagnosis but they will give cbt they also say they dont know what's causing the anxiety nor getting anywhere with camhs should I ask for a second opinion?

I think it would be very wise to ask for a second opinion. Our children are not always able to pin point what causes the anxiety - sometimes if it is an anxiety disorder -then it is generally linked to the chemical make up in their brain - which CBT can help and sometimes medication or both.
If you are getting no-where from CAMHS then I would go to your doctor as well and ask what they suggest.
Also try your local parent partnership - they can often give you advice and provide the support you need.
http://www.parentpartnership.org.uk

What is your gut feeling? Do you think there is anything specific that has brought this on with your daughter? Do you think she might have social anxiety? Does she have trouble making or keeping friends? Is she keeping in contact with friends whilst she is not at school? Does she get out of the house or is she reluctant to do so?
Were there any symptoms in previous years? Take notes - and also take notes during or after any meetings you have with the school and CAMHS. It is important to make sure that you can show further down the track that you are doing all you can to get help.
Is your daughter wanting to do school work? Is she depressed as well as anxious?
Sorry for so many questions - but it might give others on the forum some idea also in how to offer help to you.
Take care -and do something for yourself - its a stressful road - but you are not alone.
Linda