school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wants new clothes for school

My son asked for a couple new shirts today. When my wife asked him why he needs them and where he plans to wear them he said he needs them for school!

I hope he isn't just saying the right answers so he gets new clothes.

Last week I took him to visit a school that is designed for kids with depression and anxiety. The school only has about 50 kids. It would be perfect for him but he said it's too small for him. Ironically he thinks his regular school is too big and crowded.

Re: Wants new clothes for school

Hi Terskac,

That is actually great that he asked for new clothes - says something about how he is feeling about himself - whether they are for school or elsewhere.
Ironic isn't it - the big school has the crowds but you can get lost in them - the small school would feel 'safer' but you are on show more. We can't win - can we. Sounds like it might be a good school for him to attend though. Can you tell us more about the school? Who do they take in and how did it get set up?
All the best
Linda

The special school is called the Eleanor Gerson High School.

hi Terskac

Had a look at their website. Sounds very supportive and they are obviously dealing with students like our children all the time. I hope your son can feel better in this environment and that they are able to help him move forward.

For anyone else who might be in the US - the site for this school is:

http://www.applewoodcenters.org/faq-eleanor-gerson-school-programs-html.html

All the best. Let us know how things go.
Linda