school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School refusal

Hello, I often received referrals from parents, teachers and Social Services for children and teenagers who are refusing to go to school. Truthfully, in almost every case the child has returned to school within a short time after their appointment, and often just 1 appointment is all that is needed.
As a parent you know best if this method is right for your child. For those who are struggling financial there may some funding available. You might like to take a look at the testimonials on the website. www.journey-therapy.co.uk
Kind regards Sue

Re: School refusal

Hi Sue

Thanks for your post. It is an interesting therapy.

Can I ask that as you are suggesting that your methods might help school refusal - that you let those posting on here know what kind of methods you are actually talking about. We come across so many 'cures' and we are always sceptical as from a parents perspective - if it is true school refusal - it is usually never quite so simple as one session.
It is well known that it is a process of changing one's thought patterns and this can never be achieved in a short period of time -especially with children and teenagers. There are also some children who have a range of other issues, including being on the autism spectrum.

So perhaps you can shed light on why you think the journey therapy might help children when its origins were aimed more at adults suffering from a physical illness and how to rise above this and in fact conquer the illness. I know that the way our minds work is related both to the physical and mental issues but your therapy (or its origins) does not quite sound the same as what our children are trying to overcome. But we are very keen to hear of any method than can help them move forward. Any help or suggestions you can provide - apart from that which is on your website would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Linda

Hello Linda, Thanks for your message, I think to be sceptical is a good thing! In my previous career I was a sceptical sales Manager and I had no plans to change that - or to become a therapist! When I was going through a really difficult time in my life the Journey method was so effective for me, so quickly, that I gave up a secure job to train as a Journey Practitioner to help others feel better.

In short, the Journey method is a collection of tried and tested, evidence based therapies in one 'package'. If anyone has tried other therapies in the past they would recognise each element separately. Truthfully I don't understand totally why it works - it just does! I've seen clients for more than 12 years and in most cases something important changed in their life and/or health.

No therapy or medication can guarentee success - I've had antibiotics that made a health issue worse!

One of my close friends, and colleague, is a Psychotherapist and uses this method with his clients with remarkable results too.

I really don't want to 'sell' this to anyone -I just wanted to let other know about it.

Only the client or the child's parent will know if it feels right for them.

For a greater understanding you might like to read the book The Journey by Brandon Bays, it's avaliable from Amazon or local libraries

There are many other practitioners of this method worldwide.

I do hope that has helped Linda

Kind regards
Sue

Thanks for your reply Sue.
Many parents on here have tried all kinds of therapies but I had not heard yours mentioned previously. I notice that there are quite a few journey therapy practitioners across the UK. I actually come from Australia and they are more limited down this way. I will check out the book.
Linda