school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Education Supervison Order???

Hi, after a meeting last week with my education welfare officer she has suggested that i have an education supervison order put on us, although she has explained this briefly, i was wondering if anyone else had had one of these issued to them.

Many thanks

Jo x

Re: Education Supervison Order???

Hi Jo

I thought someone on here had been threatened or issued with one. I'll see if I can search around- meanwhile - can you let others know briefly what the supervision order does mean?

I hope they are not just trying to force you into something by covering their own backs as usual - this often means they have skipped the support that should have been put in place.
Are you in contact with parent Partnership - can they give you some advice?
let us know more -
take care
Linda

Hi linda, thank you, as far as im aware it has to be for a minimum of a year and i have to meet with them every 3 months to discuss progress, the officer made it sound like it was in my benefit and would stop me from being prosecuted, she was rather vague about it and said i would have to have a meeting with her manager who would decide if this was the appropriate action as she feels i need support and not punishment for my daughters bad attendence and that they would have more control over the schools actions, im a bit confused tbh and am awaiting to receive her report and meeting date then may seek legal advice, or as you suggested contact parent partnership atm they are not involved with my case.

At the moment she is on a part time timetable altho the school are pushing for her to be back full time, but instead of leaving her at the moment as she is sticking to the timetable they want to increase it, no doubt to make there attendence targets look better, and the officer said they would be able to step in and prevent them from doing this, i dont no if it will be a good thing or bad....am so confused.

Any info or experience from others would be greatly appreciated.

Jo xxx

No, we haven't had this

I just looked it up and it is one method of legal action they can use to enforce school attendance. It says If the council thinks you need support getting your child to go to school but you’re not co-operating, they can apply to a court for an Education Supervision Order. A supervisor will be appointed to help you get your child into education. The local council can do this instead of prosecuting you, or as well.

So, I'm not really too sure how it would benefit you - unless it does mean that they would give you more support.

hi Jo

What Sharon says can be found on here (see first website below). It is not clear, however, what steps might come in between. It is usually up to the individual school.
From what I can patch together from the information - this centres around the Family Court to prevent it going further to the Magistrates Court. But it is still a court order and I am not sure it is an 'option' as such but you might want to contact Parent Partnership and also your local MP for advice. If you feel your school is not cooperating with you and your daughters part attendance then I don't think they have a right to issue the order. It seems that your school needs to review the program your daughter is on rather than increase too quickly. Can you get a doctor's report to support this? If I was you I'd contact parent partnership as soon as possible to see if they can point you in the right direction.
You could do without the added pressure of any kind of order. See if you can put it back on the school to come up with a revised plan before they carry through with an order. The problem with such an order is that if you daughter cannot comply - then it is seen as you not sticking to the plan - and they can push to take the order further.
Let us know how you go - and stay strong- we are thinking of you - you are not alone : )
Linda

Read this

https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/legal-action-to-enforce-school-attendance

Also check out this pamphlet that outlines this:

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1462301A-1ED0-45CC-A8CB-CDD36840F750/0/EducationSupervisionOrderNov12.pdf