school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TV documentary

I have pitched the idea of a documentary on school refusal to a production company who are very interested (I know there have been others in the past mentioned on this forum - this is a different company). This particular company is used to dealing with sensitive issues and I believe would not sensationalise the issue, although I know many people who would find this hard to believe of journalists/TV programme makers!

I have been asked to try and find three personal stories which would highlight the various issues (of which there are many). If you think you might be prepared to take part – assuming you are happy with the way the company intends to tackle it - please reply to this post or email me direct on fran@shoutaboutit.net. I can then share more information with you about my overall objectives and tell you a bit more about the production company and what they would need. Many thanks

fran

Re: TV documentary

Well done Fran this is fantastic news.

I'm chewing the idea over about volunteering our story. My d's SR came about after longterm bullying during years 7 and 8. So far with the bullying, depression, SR and social anxiety, we are now in our 4th year of overcoming the effects. Though she is back on full timetable now, d detests school and still suffers a lot of anxiety around being there and in social situations with peers her own age. She finds it very hard to trust or make friends.

I believe strongly that if many of the professionals I turned to for help had made more appropriate decisions regarding my d's support & education that my d would not have sunk to the depths she did and our family would not have been under so much stress for so long.

I feel passionately about raising awareness on anti-bullying and SR but I live in a very small community and would be speaking out about lack of awareness amongst many of the members in it! Would the producers consider face blurring for anyone who wished to take part in the documentary but remain anonymous?

Here is a link to my support blog for parents of bullied children: http://epicinschools.blogspot.com/

I will pop you an email. Clarity

thanks Clarity - look forward to your email!

I do understand the reasons people are reluctant to speak out publicly. It's early days in this conversation with the production company and I will ask about blurring faces. This might be particularly helpful to encourage those in the middle of tribunals etc. to speak out - and the fact that they feel the need to remain anonymous says a lot in itself....

The other option (which still needs a couple of personal stories) is a more undercover journalistic route. This is my favoured route (I dream of being an undercover journalist in my LEA or CAMHS!) but it takes longer and is fraught with protocol and legal framework from the production company's perspective. However, they seem willing to consider both routes.

Will look at your website - would be good to stay in touch!

fran

Hi Fran

In terms of keeping our children out of a documentary - its a tough decision that probably needs careful thought from the child involved. As you can see from the little TV snippet that I was in (on the Blog on this site) - the other boy decided he wanted to go on the program as he was - as he really wanted to help others.
There has been no negative come back for him - which is very fortunate - but after he did the filming - he became extremely anxious that kids at the school would give him a hard time and so he found it hard to go back to school!
As I say - all ended well - but you just never know.

My own son said he was happy for me to go on there but no way was he going on there - and I felt quite protective of him anyway - and so I wasn't sure even about me going on. He was fine up until the day of filming - and then he became annoyed that I was going on TV. That all turned out ok too - as no one at his school seemed to make any link between me and him (they probably don't know who I am) and for me - all the local shop keepers were saying they had seen me on TV and wanted to ask me about the problem. It opened up many new conversations for me and I found that everyone was sympathetic and wanting to understand.
Not sure I have made myself very clear here - but I guess just sharing my experience with the TV program.
As you can see on the TV program - they also interviewed a psyyhologist from the "School Refusal Program' and the researcher at Monash University. I felt what the psychologist had to say probably had the most impact - as did what the other boy had to say about how he had felt and gave some hope.
You would have to keep in mind if the audience is specific or broader - but will there be a glimmer of hope throughout the documentary? For any parents watching it - there really does need to be that balanced side about how things can work out.
Look forward to any ideas you want to run by us as you get more info together - it all sounds like a terrific idea.
Linda

Thanks Linda - hadn't seen the programme on your blog. Your comments are all very valid and if it goes any further I will definitely be asking your advice! Many thanks, Fran