school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Medication

Thank you Linda - Some great advice there as usual. You sound like you're definitely doing the right thing - I don't think I have as much confidence as you at the moment in doing that!

We have suggested other people/peers come to collect my girl from the car, but she says she feels under too much pressure then.

However, really thought we were going to make some progress yesterday, but didn't really work out as we would have liked ...

I went to the School with my daughter (after school had finished for the day - pre-arranged) with the view that we were going to go in together to this different building, away from the rest of the school. My daughter was really brave and managed to get out of the car with me and go into this building. However, their were quite a few members of staff in there (NOT as we had arranged) and they clearly weren't expecting us and said that if that building was full my D would have to work over in the main school. I could see my D was horrified at this prospect.

I have now sent an e-mail to the School saying that under no circumstances must she be asked to go over to the main building, until she is ready for that step, but she now has it in her head that this idea isn't going to work. I know she shouldn't be as sensitive, but she was so brave to even get out of the car, this has now been overshadowed by what the staff said to her.

I am not sure how we move this forward for next week, as the school haven't exactly gained her trust with comments like that. I am also aware that it is very difficult for School staff to understand how fragile our SR's are.

Anyway, let's forget about School for this weekend.

Thank you again for your kind comments. Your Son is lucky to have you x

Hello Linda

Thank you so much for your message - you are always so kind in your response and always take the time to put in a thoughtful message - it really is appreciated. I am so sorry to hear that things aren't going great for you at the moment. It really is a rollercoaster isn't it?! I do think that at the end of the day, we know our own children the best and you must do what you feel is right for your Son and be guided by your own experience of his SR and what he is able to tolerate.

I do think that as maturity kicks in our children will view things differently and be able to handle situations in a more positive way.

I have to say, this week has been rough already and we're only half-way through it. My daughter's school had put together a new timetable which was only a few hours here and there and meant going into a different building (still on the school grounds, but not too close to the other classrooms). We thought this may have worked as she was also just going to have 1:1 sessions for a while. However, just the same - just couldn't get her out of the car. Just had a call from the Ed. Officer asking where she was.

I know everyone had worked hard to get this new timetable in place, but I did say that I couldn't guarantee my daughter would be able to make it.

Anyway, my latest thinking is perhaps I should go in with her to start with until she feels ready for this step and do some work with her in that environment - not sure if the school will be happy about this, but just trying to break the process down even further.

Still thinking about medication, but I can see we will have to give it a go very soon.

Really hope things improve Linda.

Kindest regards.

Sharry

Anxiety is a medical condition. Medicine may work better than any other solution. This is true especially in teens.
If the Zoloft doesn't provide any relief after a month or so try something else. SSRI's are hit and miss. The child might need more than one drug. Just keep trying.

Hi all
Gosh Sharry, schools never fail to astound me. The staff are there to work/deal with young people every day and some just can't seem to manage basic common sense.

Your daughter was after screwing up all her strength to go to this building and to be let down like that by so-called professionals is sad.

When they are training as teachers I really wish they would learn that while they will have many students, every one of them is different, and needs to be dealt with individually and, at times, with sensitivity.

The way forward maybe mediciation. They're no shame in it and speaking to her GP and maybe having to try a couple of different ones may be enough to get her started on going back to school.

But like you say, almost the end of the week, so enjoy the weekend everyone.
Here in Southern Ireland, it's a Bank Holiday on Monday so a three day weekend

Take care

Virginia

Thank you Virginia. I am beginning to wonder if my daughter will ever feel strong enough to get out of the car, as I am aware that the longer she avoids this, the harder (in her mind) it becomes.

We have been on half-term holiday this week and I did manage to get one of my daughter's friends to come over and I took them to a WaterPark and out for lunch. They both really enjoyed it, though it really was touch and go whether it was going to happen. However, my daughter did say that she knew she would be so disappointed if we had to cancel, so she kept herself busy until her friend arrived. I have really praised her on this achievement and asked her to think about which strategies she used, so that she can perhaps apply these to going to school, when she is ready. This all sounds good, but I fear the reality will be different come Monday morning, but I did feel it was a good step forward for her.

We are now going to visit the doctor next week with regard to medication, so we'll see how we go.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Regards.

Sharry