school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Medication

Hi all
Gosh Sharry, schools never fail to astound me. The staff are there to work/deal with young people every day and some just can't seem to manage basic common sense.

Your daughter was after screwing up all her strength to go to this building and to be let down like that by so-called professionals is sad.

When they are training as teachers I really wish they would learn that while they will have many students, every one of them is different, and needs to be dealt with individually and, at times, with sensitivity.

The way forward maybe mediciation. They're no shame in it and speaking to her GP and maybe having to try a couple of different ones may be enough to get her started on going back to school.

But like you say, almost the end of the week, so enjoy the weekend everyone.
Here in Southern Ireland, it's a Bank Holiday on Monday so a three day weekend

Take care

Virginia

Re: Medication

Thank you Virginia. I am beginning to wonder if my daughter will ever feel strong enough to get out of the car, as I am aware that the longer she avoids this, the harder (in her mind) it becomes.

We have been on half-term holiday this week and I did manage to get one of my daughter's friends to come over and I took them to a WaterPark and out for lunch. They both really enjoyed it, though it really was touch and go whether it was going to happen. However, my daughter did say that she knew she would be so disappointed if we had to cancel, so she kept herself busy until her friend arrived. I have really praised her on this achievement and asked her to think about which strategies she used, so that she can perhaps apply these to going to school, when she is ready. This all sounds good, but I fear the reality will be different come Monday morning, but I did feel it was a good step forward for her.

We are now going to visit the doctor next week with regard to medication, so we'll see how we go.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Regards.

Sharry