school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What authority does a doctor have?

Hi Sharry - I agree with Phyllis's post. I am in Australia and our system is quite different to the UK. Our GP has been our primary carer and we also have access to funding for private therapists so CAMHS is a last resort for us. At one particularly stressful period I did try to make an appointment but my daughter's case was deemed non urgent so we would have had a six month wait for an appointment (she was threatening to kill herself at the time) I am a member of a large facebook support network for School Phobia based in the UK and it seems that depending on where you live in the UK CAMHS can either be wonderful or terrible. Do you have the option to try a different doctor for a second opinion? Or as Phyllis has suggested, it may be worthwhile to go ahead with a referral to CAMHS and see what support they can offer.

Re: What authority does a doctor have?

HI Sharry

I agree with Sandy and Phyllis - perhaps you are best going with CAMHS at this stage. From what I understand from this forum - they can be good - sometimes they are not - it all depends on the personalities that you meet in the process. Just remember- you have done nothing wrong - you need their help and support - and don't let them make you feel guilty or that they will take your child away.

Sometimes some people feel the need to read the rule book to you - such a shame that your doctor was the one to do this! You don't need to know the rules! You just want to know the support networks and ways forward.
I'd be looking for another doctor too - as you need to have them on side.
Often the schools and other serves won't provide the support you need unless they know you have taken the right steps to get help - so perhaps see how you go with CAMHS - I am also in Australia - but have been on here long enough to know that there can also be quite a wait in the UK.

Sandy...how ridiculous is that - non urgent!!
My son is never regarded as needing urgent assistance either - and he's been through trying to self harm. The school feels they have more immediate cases to deal with. My feeling is that they deal with those who don't have good parents looking after them. Not such a bad thing - but....they should be looking after all our kids and offering support no matter what. Always a case of never enough support to go around.
Take care
Linda