school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to go next

My son was bullied for 2 years both physically and mentally. In the end I had no choice but to move his school after he refused to go to school at all. He has been much better in his new school but after a year is refusing to go saying he can't cope. Lots of tears and some self harming. Camhs has rejected his referral twice and I am now paying for private counseling and assessment. The education welfare officer is calling twice a week both arranged and non arranged. We are under lots of pressure. I don't feel I can get him back to school. What options do I have.

Re: Where to go next

Hi Ruth

Sounds like you have been having an awful time (your son especially).
ON what ground have CAMHS rejected his referral? Your son seems to fit into the required need to be seen and assessed and help given. What has the school been like?

It is really a tough decision as you know - whether to keep trying with school with support in place or to go down a different road. Have you considered medication for your son? It might help him move forward just a bit - and then if there is any cognitive behaviour for him - that can also help - but sometimes it takes being on medication first for it to work - or in fact - maturity to kick in (which I am waiting for).
How old is your son?

Some schools (and most should do this but don't) provide tutoring as it is written in the educational outlines that all children have the right to an education - and that means even if they can't get there. However- there are also some on-line options - in the resource section on this website there are some listed but you can also do a bit of a search. There are some parents on this forum who went down this road. School is not for every child, especially if they have had the horrible experience of being bullied.

Would your son (or the school) try a limited timetable plan? Where your son just does the main subjects or one or two subjects he likes?
I don't have a magical answer unfortunately - your story is so familiar to so many of us on here. And help is not forthcoming from the authorities - as you have found. Have you been in touch with Parent Partnership UK - sometimes they know more about some of the options you may have and can give you support as to what steps to take.
Hang in there - its hard on you - take some time out for yourself - you deserve it...
Let us know how you go and remember - you are not alone - we understand how you are feeling ...
take care
LInda