school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Helping a teen with school phobia, myself.

Hi Nana

I am glad you felt you could express everything. It must be the longest post on the forum : )
I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist but we do understand on here how people who have school refusal feel.
It seems to me you are dealing with the issue of anxiety but OCD and that is a lot for your age.
My only suggestion would be to find a psychiatrist or a doctor who can prescribe the right kind of medicine that can help both. The are lots of different types of medications around that can assist OCD and make it less of a focus on a daily basis. This might ease your fear of the school day.
Not knowing the Singapore situation - I can't make suggestions for support networks for you. I do know that there are a lot of expectations in Singaporean schools to succeed - so this might be what you are describing.

I am sure you have sought help from within Singapore. I note that in the article below from the Singapore Association for Mental Health it mentions a survey that mentions it takes on average 9 years before people with OCD seek help. This means you are way ahead of others in this as you are already seeking help.
http://www.samhealth.org.sg/understanding-anxiety-disorders/

Perhaps you can contact them and ask them what is the best thing for you to do now. They will have met many other young people like yourself who are seeking help. Cognitive Behavior therapy is one avenue that is very helpful for anxiety of different kinds and including OCD - this organisation might be able to find you the best therapist to work with you on this.
I am sorry to hear about your family situation - it doesn't make it easy for you. The good thing is you have all those other positives going for you and are able to make friends. Always remember those positives but see what you can find out from the organisation.
Take care and don't despair- there is always help around the corner - it sometimes just takes time.
Linda

Ohh me too :(( but first hi . I'm from Macedonia and because my English is not perfect. I feel very bad because I have somewhere to share my feelings. I'm 20 years old. I am a first year at college. My school phobia started when I was in seventh grade in elementary school. oh I'm so hard that Wherefore I have no power to speak a number of what pass. But I'll briefly to say. I have not slept all night, even the bodies to close my eyes because when you come in the morning my parents would call me to get up and get ready for school. And so the whole nić be awake, I cried, iscrpljavala myself, I wanted to be there that this is all a dream. But to get back to how it came to this. At the beginning of seventh grade I got sick. I had bronchitis and I had to lie in bolnicu.Naravno while I was in the hospital I could not go to school. After around 3 weeks when I ozdravela doctors have allowed me to go home. When I left the hospital I needed to continue to go to school. But you came months when professors are supposed to write reviews. Now it came to flow disturbance at me. For even I went to school three weeks due to bronchitis to me is nasobralo material. Nor could I have everything to learn and even more I was the best student in my school. To me it all fell hard and began someone fears of large curriculum. I began to be afraid that I will not get to learn and get my jedinocu. I was embarrassed not to Budev best student. Good thing you do not procrastinate. I'm going to cut my story. My parents who have understood me helped me to finish school. My parents understand me and give me support. In addition to, and they took me god psychologist and a psychiatrist to help me. I even wanted to go to school and I had a lot of izostanke.Mojo parents were once forcibly led me to not have lost školu.Kad I did not go in the jump they went to the doctor and asked for justification for the school. Because if you do not have an excuse I can get kicked out of school. Thanks to my parents I finished the high school. I am now the first coda at the university. I do not want to be ignorant. I do not want to live if you do not have a university. But then something began to clogged when I sit down to study and I have to close Knijga. For half a year I did not go to college. By all morning I was lying and placc.Ja want to go to college but i also can not. I do not know how to be no more geese. I want to be like all the other students. I always take it when I learn something starts to choke me. Please Help. If someone wants to talk to me, my kick is teevska

Hi Teevska

Sorry to hear you have been feeling so frustrated. Remember you are not alone. There are many young people who feel like you do and it doesn't have to be for ever - there is always help somewhere. Remember - you might find that you study better when you are older.
Perhaps you can work first and then later on you can go back to university?
You can also seek further help from student support through your university. Most universities have student support workers who will help students who are having difficulties. Or your local doctor - and ask about medication?

I do understand that in Macedonia there is perhaps not strong support for mental health issues. I notice, however, that there are community mental health services in Skopje, Prilep and Tetovo. I have read that the World Health Organisation has been working with Macedonia for a change to improve mental health support since 2004.

If you can, seek support from friends on the Internet and your family. There are some on-line help sites for anyone suffering from anxiety. Have you seen the following site? It offers some sites that can help from any where in the world.
http://www.anxieties.com/163/freeinformationalsites

Take care and always seek help like you are doing - it is better to share a heavy load than carry it yourself. There is help for you - but it sometimes takes time.
Linda