school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about graduation requirements in UK/Australia

Hi there - I am reading old posts and it appears that many students have low attendance but seem to still move on to the next grade and even graduate? In the US there are attendance requirements and a student is considered 'truant' if they do not attend a specific amount of days. I am not sure yet (but will find out soon as I am not sure if my son can advance from 7th to 8th grade) what those requirements are for middle school (ages 12-14) but in High School (15-18) if a student is truant they will never receive their diploma and graduate -- which scares me about our future. Are the rules different for you or am I misunderstanding the posts?

Thank you!

Re: Question about graduation requirements in UK/Australia

I cannot answer the question in relation to the US, but here in Scotland, my daughter was told as she handed in her final bit of work required for an HND that it would not be marked as she did not have the required attendance record.

She appealed, showing that she had done the work (but not in class), and that her work was of the required standard. This was accepted and she got her diploma. But it was a close call.

Here in Australia up until the final years it depends on the school. If the school feels that the student has special reasons for being absent so much - i.e. they actually recognise it as anxiety/depression etc - then this is taken into account. If they fail the main subjects due to absence - such as maths or English - then questions are asked.
I was told that my son might not move up to Year 10 next year if he failed both of these.
In the final two years of school - they are required to attend a certain percentage of days. If they don't meet the requirements they can fail. However- again the student can lodge an appeal (like in the UK perhaps) or apply beforehand for 'special consideration'.

My son who is currently in Year 9 has gone up each year - but this year is the first time he has failed a couple of subjects (maths and science - due to the skill building nature in maths and the pracs in science). This does pose a problem, however, even without further absences - as it does impact on how he would cope with Year 10 maths.

Your son is not a truant. Can you get a doctor or psychologist to write something for the school to back this? You need to make sure they differentiate between school refusal (a recognised anxiety disorder) and truancy (related to other issues that normally come down to social or family).

Linda

Thank you for clarifying your country 'rules' Linda and Simon. We are still in the thick of it so will let you know how it turns out... not sure where it is headed at the moment as he doesn't want to discuss :).

In the UK this does not exist, you move up each year with your class