school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A hiccup

Hi Leah

Sounds like we are facing similar things. It's hard, isn't it.

My son walked out of the new school for the second time today. He says he wants to go back to his old school.
We saw the psychiatrist and she told him he had to think hard before making a decision and that this might be his chance to try something different and if he goes back to his old school - fine - but that means he has to stay there.

I have no idea what is best any more. On the one hand I want him to stick out the rest of the year at the new school, but if he is that unhappy feeling on the 'outer' then it is not going to help. If he goes back to his old school - will the old feelings kick in again - or has he learnt from this experience - to make the most of what you have - because other options might not be better? Has anyone on here ever had their child go back to their old school after trying a new one? What do others think?
Apart from my point of view as a parent of trying to make my son stick something out - there was money spent on new uniform, books and so forth. I can live with money spent in the long run- but no idea about the other.
Haven't told his dad yet that he walked out again - just don't know how he'd react.
Linda

Hi everyone

Where is everyone? Has term started? Very quiet on here lately...

Just to update my situation. I contacted the old school just to see what the situation might be if my son did decided he couldn't continue at the new school. They told me that they do not take students half way through a term and that if he did return for next year he'd probably have to repeat Year 9!!
This news actually settled my son - it made a decision for him - he now has to commit to the new school and he is motivated to try and get really good marks so that if he does then want to go back to the old school he has more chance of going straight into Year 10 and not repeating. I feel relieved!!
It is now holidays here - so no more school talk for two weeks : )
Take care everyone and remember there is always someone on here to help you - you are not alone.
Linda

It is easy making decisions in the holidays, isn't it? But you both need the break from the tension.

I do hope that your son continues to feel that the new school is the best for him. Going back would have been hard, I felt.

Take care,

Simon

Thanks Simon. Yes I would imagine that going back would have brought a whole set of new or returning emotions for him - and we would have been in the same or worse situation. Although I can see - from his point of view - that the more familiar was looking better than the unfamiliar.

He has done a couple of amazing things these past couple of months though. I would never have thought he'd do a complete day at one new school - and then several days at this other new one. I never would have thought he'd actually be able to achieve something like this. Not sure he sees it this way - and he still is trying to hide his head in the sand - but we can only try and keep moving forward and that incredibly slow pace that school refusal moves!
Take care
Linda