school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family Therapy

Hello

It is a while since I've been on here, but still very little progress. Our 15 year old girl hasn't been to school for over a year. She has been receiving individual counselling that has identified the issues, but since then she says she is 'stuck'. The counsellor can't seem to move her forward from this and come up with any further strategies. My daughter has refused to go for the last 2 sessions as she says it is a waste of time and it makes her feel so miserable when she thinks about going.

We now are looking into CAMHS and family therapy.

Just wondered if anyone had any positive experiences with family therapy? I have heard such mixed reports I am not sure if this is the right road to go down.

My daughter would like to stop her individual counselling sessions (which cause her so much upset) and focus on the family therapy. Just don't know whether to do this or is this giving in to her or will it result in going back a step?

Really hope that everyone else is progressing and staying strong.

Thank you.

Re: Family Therapy

Hello,

I think CAMHS vary so much from area to area that it is hard to say whether your local CAMHS could help.

My 15 year old son has so far rejected any form of counselling as he believes talking about what upsets him makes him feel worse. So we are at an impasse.

Has your daughter said why she feels family therapy would be better?

Thank you Leah - Her individual counsellor has suggested this - I feel she is running out of ideas how to help and has come up with this suggestion. I also feels she blames us, so probably feels that family therapy will help.

Hope things are improving for you x

Hi Sharry

Sorry to hear things are not progressing at your end. I'd give the family therapy a go. If the other isn't working - then sometimes it does have to be abandoned. My son abandoned a few psychologists - then stuck with a psychiatrist longer as she didn't make him 'talk' so much as praise him for every little step she could see through the fog in his mind.
At the moment my son doesn't want any counselling of any kind. The psychiatrist indicated that there was not much she could do at this stage until he matured enough to realise he has to take on some of the challenges and ideas and think through his anxiety in a different way. So she is happy for all to be put on hold until further notice. It is such a difficult age. But if counselling isn't helping - then no point pushing it.
When we had family counselling for a few sessions with the psychiatrist - it was very helpful. She was able to see how we all interacted and how things worked as a family (split family) and how his dad didn't accept where our son was at and how I did and so forth. Had we not all met together - I don't think she would have been able to give me the advice she gave me afterwards regarding roads forward.
We are never quite 'there' in our case but my son is still hanging in and in year 10 this year. Still struggling but making enough school to have passed last year.

See how it goes - and let us know - our thoughts are with you.
Take care
Linda