school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Twin Children's Non Attendance

Hi Susan

The high school sounds great! And with your daughters being the creative kind - this does sound ideal. Hopefully if there are any hiccups along the way - the support will be there for them and yourself.
My son is a keen photographer and seems to have a natural eye for taking those wonderful shots. I think he also finds he can hide behind the camera - or 'be' someone in social situations.

He was a friendly, happy, fairly outgoing boy - but with school refusal having taken its toll on him for all these years - he is much more withdrawn these days. At primary school he had good friends - but still found it impossible to go to school sometimes - as it makes no difference in a way - but I think when you are a teenager - you need some friends around. So if your daughters can know others at the high school - this sounds like it will be a great help.

There used to be a lot more on the forum but it is a bit quieter these days.
Take care - let us know how you go
LInda

Susan,
I had to respond to your posting, because I'm having a similar situation with my twin 11 year old daughters. Wish I could offer practical advice, but I'm in the U.S. where it seems (as far as I can tell) no one has recognized this "school refusal" as an actual syndrome/condition.
My twins are fraternal and not very bonded but in some ways they're similar: creative, intelligent, some social anxiety (one more than the other) and not athletic. This year (6th grade, now middle school) has been a nightmare in terms of school attendance. It started with daughter "A" having anxiety, not liking class and refusing to go. Some of the contributing factors: sleep issues, best friend now goes to another school, family stress. We've even had the school counselors come to our house to rouse her out of bed! She's seems better at the moment, but now twin "B" has tummy problems and won't go to school. The whole dynamic is frustrating and depressing. It's hard to focus on any other aspect of my life. And though the school counselors seem supportive, their team teachers don't "get" twin "A" at all. One of the teachers was amazed that my daughter didn't laugh at his jokes! Sorry, my daughter doesn't think you're a comedian! BTW, we have tried counseling outside of school particularly with twin "A" however she doesn't connect with the counselor usually and then refuses to to that!
From my limited online research, it seems as though the UK and AUS have acknowledged this as being a significant problem. Here in the states I'm getting the truancy line. "You'll have to go to court if this keeps up." Aside from the school counselors who are probably overburdened, everybody looks at you as though you're enabling your child and want them to stay at home.
Oh, and the tactic of not allowing technology(which we practice) when they're home, doesn't affect twin "A" much. Twin "B" today seems bored, but she'll probably read and do art.
I wish I had solutions for you, but I thought I'd at least provide a note of support from someone in the same position!

Hi Cindy and everyone
My heart goes out to you all, it is terrible having school refusal/anxiety with one child but double when it is the two of them. It has been a while since I have been on this site, and I had hoped to be able to write I had found a miracle cure but unfortunately haven't:(

My situation is that my middle son has suffered school anxiety since he was 11 ( soon to be 14 now) and my youngest son started suffering anxiety at a very similar age ( soon to be 13) and although not twins the last 2 1/2 years have been absolute hell.
I cannot describe the awful feelings of being unable to get them to school and although my youngest son has attended school more than my middle son I have a daily nightmare of trying to get them both the support needed. Everyone says my youngest son is just copying the middle one (including very close family members) but I know he has had some bad experiences of his own that has contributed to the anxiety he feels.

I am dreading the end of the Easter break as I know I will be back to the daily stress of trying to get the youngest to attend his mainstream school and my middle son is meant to be attending a small education unit. I wish that I could get another person to get them to just get up and get dressed and just go! I have begged, pleaded, shouted, rewarded, etc, they must be so confused but nothing makes any difference. The pressure from school to get my youngest sons attendance up is pushing me to complete breaking point. I have to work and although it is only part time I am away from home each day so more pressure caused just to get to work but I have to go collect the youngest regularly as he feels ill. I know it's not as bad as some folks have it with other problems but if anyone had got any ideas I would be so greatful to read them, my middle son has attended Camhs since last May but hasn't made any real difference:/

Thanks everyone stay strong
Best regards
Gerry