school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wondering how many are in North West UK?

Hi
I wonder how many parents on this forum are in North West UK?
I'd be interested to have a group meeting as its good to talk and share support and experiences.
Also wonder just how many kids / families are struggling out there and if we can get together on mass to ask the government to educate teaching staff, EWO'S local authority staff who are currently failing families with devastating effect.
Anyone interested in a meet?

Re: Wondering how many are in North West UK?

Hi Jacqui

Sorry - I'm down under- and not sure how many are out your way. It seems that those on the forum are from all over UK.
There was some talk when the forum was first up and running regarding educating those who educate about this etc as well as educating the public. As we are all scattered - it ends up in the long term being individuals who tell their story.
That isn't as powerful as a group effort - so I also hope that one day there are enough people to band together to ensure that there is more help out their for our kids and that this mental health issue is understood for what it is and not passed off as a behaviour issue.

How is your struggle going?
Take care
Linda

Hi.
We take our local authority to Tribunal next week. We won first tribunal to get SENassessment. Now we are fighting for a suitable statement as the way its written just writes our child off as badly behaved. We believe the way the statement is written will simply continue the very misunderstanding that led to her distress and behavioural issues. The battle with "professionals" has gone on now for many years and I'm devastated that this will be ours and our kids memories of their childhood.

Our child is currently in a residential school ( put there as she started absconding from home) and she hates it there. The class sizes are very small, there is less academic classroom time and lots of emotional support but many of the kids at the school are a really bad influence so not sure if negatives currently outweigh the positives.

The school have written a support plan which states the triggers for our child are " issues at home" . The only issue we have at home is the resultant distress over school attendance. Our CAMHS and education staff have remained insistent that this is all down to bad parenting or something going on within the family that we are hiding from them. They even took us to Child Protection Conference but none of the attendees could conclude that we had done anything wrong. When they do take action its completely the wrong thing!

The battle continues. I remain in hope that the good start our child had to family life will be there within her and we can some day claw her back from the dark passage she currently walks.

Love and best wishes to everyone on this forum. Hope we all get a happy ending.

Re: Tribunal

Oh, Jacqui!

What a struggle you are having. Good luck to both yourself and your child at the tribunal.

Be strong - and well prepared!

Simon

Re: Tribunal

Hi Jacqui
it's so easy for schools/professionals to quote 'home issues' when it's obvious they don't have any answers and certainly don't want to admit same to any parent.

i wish you all the best at the tribunal and hope that someday all of this will be a distant memory.

stay strong

Virginia

Hi
We are in deeside, North Wales, not sure if you anywhere close, been having school refusal with both my sons, has been and still is a nightmare, totally spilt family with this as very different opinions. Please let me know if you wish to contact me, will try to offer any advice but my own reality is I think they will just have to 'grow out' of it:/ am hoping by the time they finish school they will be ok!
My best to you all, am still hopin for a magic formula!
Warm regards
Gerry

Hi Jacqui
I just wanted to let you know that we are actually about 7 miles from Chester, might be easier for you to estimate the distance we are from you,I hate Sunday nights, start feeling nervous about tomorrow morning, goodness knows how children must feel, must be a million times worse.
Hope you can stay strong
Best regards
Gerry