school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RUTH - advice on medication etc

Hi Ruth
My experience with meds is mixed. Key is getting a good Dr that considers the child carefully as an individual and seeks to understand the cause not just treat the symptom.
I have 2 kids with CAMHS. One with a good Dr and one with ..was going to say useless but its worse than that!
If life is a struggle its worth considering meds. Anti depressants can increase risk initially as the child may gain capacity to suicide before they show positive result.
I see no positive result but have been advised by a Dr I trust that Fluoxetine may be keeping a lid on symptoms ( even though she still suffers).
I understand that if a child is overly distressed it can be recommended to reduce symptoms first with meds before they have the capacity to engage with CBT.
there are a lot of people in education and CAMHS who do not know what they are doing. If not sure, ask for a second opinion.