school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying a new road

Hi everyone,

I have always believed that it doesn't matter if our kids don't go in a straight line through school and I have met many people on the forum who feel the same. So after 10 years of trying to get my son to attend mainstream school, he is now in the process of enrolling for on-line learnings,through a school course that is run by our education department. Set up to cater for students who lived on land that was to far to travel to a school, it now finds itself also catering for students with school refusal or those who have suffered bullying and so forth. Obviously having not started yet, I do not know wheth this will work out but it has to be better than that dread I felt every morning, not knowing if he will get to school or not. Why did I wait so long? As you know, there are no miracles out there but there is lots of advice and everyone keeps telling us that they are better off at school, so you have to ke trying!
But try we did.... And he has scraped through passing every year only because he is a bright kid who an Coast. His maths, however,fell by the wayside and he has completely failed.but I don' t care any more.

I am very proud of him for trying for so long. But I just keep thinking that we probably should have ditched mainstream schooling long ago and given my son more of his childhood back. Easy to say in hindsight,but like so many of you, I get so caught up in the stress and daily fallouts,that it was impossible to know or see what may have been best. He did change schools last year but never settled in the new school, and so after such a good week attending his work experience placement,he just said 'I can't do this anymore- I cannot go back to school'. I knew he was right and accepted straight away. Had we not had distant education here,I would have had to find something else online. There comes a point where you realise,something has to change.

I have been on this forum that Simon set up since 2010 and it was my as saviour. Just to talk with others who know what we go through. I will update on the distant ed, once we transition to this next phase. Meanwhile, take care and hopefully you can find the support you are looking for on the forum.
Linda

Re: Trying a new road

Hi, Linda,

As you know, we all have different ways of learning, and mainstream schools cannot adjust to individuals, so finding an on-line facility that teaches in a way that your child can relate to is important.

My children find my style of teaching maths (homework) quite hopeless! Yet it worked for me, and I loved the subject.

Maybe find a different maths programme? There is a list here: http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2014/01/20-great-math-websites-for-teachers-and.html

Simon

Hello Linda

I think you deserve a medal! I really hope that this is a big turning point for you and your son and you can move forward. We do all keep struggling on, but your kind words and experiences have helped us all. Please do let us know how you get on - I can already feel some of the stress lifting off you.

Regards.

Sharry

Hello Linda,
This sounds like a really positive move for you and your son. I know how you feel with the feeling of dread every day not knowing wether they will go. It dominated my life every day for years, I couldn't think of anything else - it seems such a shame that so many good things can be just blocked out by this horrible feeling. Lifting that may be just what you guys need. I really hope it works out well for you, keeping my fingers crossed!
Love, Zoe x

Thanks Sharry, Zoe and Simon

I spoke with the year level coordinator at Distant Ed today and she recommends that my son just do maths and english for this term and then if all goes well he can do all subjects next term. Another relief!

We are to go in on Monday for an 'adaptive' computer test in English and maths that will help them know where he is at. He will also meet his English and maths tutors. He will then start a specially tailored maths and English course.

She said that enrolments have jumped from 2500 last year to 4000 this year, and most of those enrolled have mental health or social issues. Just what is happening to our young people?

Will let you know how we progress.
And Simon, I will look into the sites you mention. My maths help seems to have stopped at about year 9 level despite having done maths into year 11. I have forgotten it all!
Take care and hope things are ok for everyone
Linda