school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The end of the tunnel?

Dear Friends,

This is addressed to all those who have been so supportive over the years, and comes with a huge thank you for being there when we needed you.

My daughter has just received the news that she has passed her degree course. It is a third class honours arts degree and had circumstances been different might have been much better. But for her, it is a huge achievement.

But who could have imagined it when she was stuck under her duvet all day? Or when she was shouting and swearing that there was no way she was going to school? Or when she turned up for the first day at college and just could not walk through the doors?

So many bad moments. So many visits to 'experts' who seemed to make no progress. So many days of extreme stress that I still marvel that I managed to get to work.

Those steps of progress, often followed by a step back. Those small gains in confidence, often taking a hit later. And those who cared, and gave support, and encouraged and stuck with her.

And so, next month, we travel to the university to watch her collect her (whatever it is you get!!) with joy in our hearts.

To those for whom the journey is just beginning, I express all my sympathy for your and your child's situation. I cannot share any magic wand solutions - I do not think there are any. It is pure hard slog. And it can seem to be a lonely journey. But please look for that light; the tunnel may be a long one, but it does have an end.

I cannot pretend, even to myself, that everything is now behind us. We have the problem of finding work and becoming self-supporting which will not be easy for her. But hopefully she will have more confidence to take those steps.

Simon

Re: The end of the tunnel?

Hello Simon,

Congratulations to your daughter and to you. This is, indeed, a huge achievement and you are both an inspiration to others who, like me, are still blundering our way through the tunnel.

Best wishes,

Janet

Hello Simon

Thank you for sharing this with us - it is a fantastic achievement for your daughter. Well done on getting through this - yes, she may have wobbles in the future, but so will many others.

You give us all hope.

Regards and enjoy the graduation.

This is wonderful news, Simon and thank you so much for sharing this with us.I remember when you didn't think your daughter would be able to make it to college, and now she has graduated. She has done well. And you and your family survived the long rough road through the tunnel. It really does give us hope.

You have always been there for your daughter and that is what also helped her to keep moving forward. It has been an inspiration to the rest of us to keep appreciating those small steps.
Take care and may the next chapter for your daughter not have quite so many hurdles - for all of you : )
All the best
Linda

Fantastic news Simon. I haven't been on the site for a long time probably because it brings back so many memories that I try to block out. But we too have seen the light. M passed his bike test. Found a job and is now engaged to a kind supportive young lady. Please never give up hope because if my son can do it your child can too xx

I am so pleased for you both. Really good news! Good luck to them both.

Have you taken that well earned h0liday yet?

Hi Simon. Not yet youngest doing his gcse exams but I hope to soon. Best wishes to everyone x

Wow Sarah, that is such great news! I am so glad you popped back on here to let us know. I remember the terrible time you all went though and to think he is now engaged....just fantastic!
With lots of best wishes being sent your way...
Take care,
Linda

Thanks Linda and hope life is getting a little easier for you. M has come such a long way but we still have our moments ! Both boys now left school and I can finally breath so now time for me I think xx