school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice needed on developing routine for educating at home

Hi everyone

I hope your day is not one of those ' tearing your hair out' kind of days and if it had been, take some time to just do something for you. And always remember that you are doing your best no matter what opinions others might have.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has managed to get their child into a routine for doing work at home, whether it be home schooling, on-line learning or doing school work sent home?

I am struggling to get my son into a routine. It is always going to happen tomorrow. Not going to school has taken away any routine he did have when he attended and now his procrastination is running his day. Going to bed at night takes forever with just doing things he doesn't need to do and then of course getting up is really difficult. I have said the day will start for work at 10am so s to give him the teenage sleep in but perhaps that is my mistake. Shoud I be aiming for an earlier start to do work?
How can we motivate our kids to do work from home? Any ideas?

I am hoping that my son will get into the swing of things as it is only the second day but he refused to follow the timetable of work then break time yesterday and now today it is nearly midday and I have tried talking, yelling (as you do!) and then just reminders and he is just angry and not getting up. We are in the middle of winter, so that may be a contributing factor but this on-line school has to work for him as it is the last option available to him.
Love to hear from anyone with suggestions
Take care everyone
Linda

Re: Advice needed on developing routine for educating at home

Hello Linda,

How did the third day go? Is you son managing to do a little of the work? Does he have to log in at particular times e.g. to work with his tutor or can he access the resources at any time?

I am afraid I don't have any suggestions, but I can certainly share your frustration. Do you find the seasons affect your son's mood? That is certainly the case with my eldest.

All the best,

J

Re: Advice needed on developing routine for educating at home

Frustrated - just had my message deleted as spam!

So, a brief version.

Try setting online reminders that have to be ticked off when completed?

Re: Advice needed on developing routine for educating at ho

Thanks Janet and Simon

Still struggling to get my son up in a morning and do any work on-line. But I spoke on the phone with the 'team leader' who is there for assistance and he told me not to worry to much at this stage as it is nearly the end.of our second term here. He said he will arrange for my son to go into the centre at the beginning of next term and meet all his teachers and do some work with them to get to know them and then they'll call him on the phone sometimes and he will know who he is talking to. He said that all the individual teachers will be trying to make sure he is on track.

So basically I guess I just hope for a routine to start to develop, self discipline to start at least showing itself and will power to start kicking in. All excellent skills for later in life if he can master them at this stage. I realise now how much th anxiety has formed a way of life for my son and how easy it is for him to avoid so many things.
This is a big learning curve for me too as I have to learn to get on with my own work and stop worrying about whether he is ever getting out of bed! Otherwise I'll go crazy! We seem to fall out every day... So whilst the relief of not having to try and force him to school has gone and I don't have to live with the awful guilt when he missed so much school, I still seem to have a battle on my hands.

And yes, Simon, I do believe the seasons make a difference and as it is winter here, getting out of bed is not the easiest for any of us but harder still if you have no self discipline. I also have found in the past that during the winter months my son has a tendency to fall onto a depression easily.

I feel that this will start to move forward. The teachers seem so supportive - something I am not used to. The one on one attention is excellent.
I'll treat th rest of this term as a transition and step back and see what happens...
Take care
Linda