school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 11 year old daughter with anxiety

Hi again Clare

I was just wondering how you were coping on the rocky road at the moment? Are you hanging in there?
I was just thinking about the secondary school and what they could do for you and was wondering if they would perhaps let your daughter met any other new children who have some slower learning issues? Surely your daughter won't be there only ine starting secondary with such an issue? That way she would know someone especially on her first day/ week.mincsn imagine how draughtiness it would be to start a new secondary school when you know no-one.

As your summer break is coming up fast I guess you'd have to get in touch with the school as soon as you can and see if your daughter can meet up with someone. Even someone in an older year would be bet than no one.

At my son's secondary school they had a get together for students and parents for those who knew no-one or were new to the area etc. parents were then taken off for an afternoon tea whilst teachers helped the kids get to know each other. Mind you.....we were also invited to this despite my son knowing some kids as I had told them about his anxiety, but I couldn't get my son to go. He refused a few things such as the maths testing day as well but he actually started the first few weeks off ok and I think that was because although his best friends did not go, he did know some other kids. Your daughter would be terrified of what To do, where to sit, who to hang out with at lunch time and what will happen if she doesn't have anyone to hang out with etc. hopefully thee school can help out with a connection for your daughter, certainly worth a try.
Good,luck!
Linda