school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
college after school

Hi
I'm the child who wrote on here before and I've finished home schooling and have done my gcse's but after home schooling from James Brindley school there isn't any where to go I don't feel like I could go to an actual college but I am looking at online colleges but I am having trouble finding ones that have schedules and science a level courses which is my favourite subject I want a schedule because I don't think I could do it by myself.
I'm 16 now and we are willing to pay for an online college but can't find ones that do science and wondered if any of you now some I live in the UK and will appreciate any ideas you have.
Thanks
Grace. ☺

Re: college after school

Hi Grace

Firstly , congratulations on getting your gsce's .well done!
I hope someone else has some answers on here for you regarding your question about colleges. I'm afraid I don't really know. However, I'd be asking at your nearest college about what they know about any on line colleges that include science. Perhaps it is hard to do science on line due to the pracs involved? Keep looking, there must be something out there for you.

I am curious to know how you went with home schooling. Did you find it hard to gain the self discipline require to do the work? Were you always motivated? My son is 15 and doing his school on line at home and he lacks motivation and is struggling to get organised and have the self discipline required to get the work done. He finds it very hard to get up in a morning. Do you have any advice for him?
Thanks Grace
Linda

Hi Grace

Have you seen this one?
http://cloudlearn.co.uk/a-level-courses/online-a-level-chemistry-course/

Linda

Congratulations on completing your GCSE course, Grace. I was so pleased to read that.

Have you looked at the Open University for the next stage? I think that they run access courses that prepare students for the degree courses. However, I am not sure how that works for your age group. I am trying to find out more, and will post the results of my investigations here.

Could you tell me a bit about the James Brindley school? this seem slike a useful resource for other young people, and would be a good resource to include here. Any information would be welcome.

With best wishes,

Simon

Hi Linda,

Thank you!
We have asked at my nearest college and they didn't have much information so we are still looking.

With home schooling I wasn't brilliant I had the same problems as your son.
I wasn't good at self discipline but I think that was because there wasn't any discipline with the school or my parents the school used to tip toe around me and wouldn't moan if I missed lessons or didn't do the home work so sometimes I just wouldn't do it.
But when I didn't do the homework or lessons I used to get mad with my self but it still it happened a lot because I didn't have much motivation.
Another thing I had a problem with was sticking to a schedule but this wasn't my fault it was difficult because the teachers were always changing their schedules and this has left me craving structure in a college which I don't think cloud learn would give me I know this because I've tried with them before and didn't complete the course.
Being home taught has isolated me from my friends and has left me only 2 this has caused me to be diagnosed with depression which makes it very hard to get up in the morning. recently I have been getting up but sometimes I get up eat breakfast then go back to bed, this is happening more now its the summer holiday because I have nothing to do. What I do to get up is if I wake up I get up and do something but if I don't wake up I usually have a frog alarm on the tablet which really wakes you up.

So sorry I don't have more help. But if you think it might help your son can email me or face book me and id be happy to talk to him and tell that it is possible and just give him a bit of motivation id be happy to ok hope this helps bye.

Thanks so much for your details reply, Grace. It sounds like you have had similar struggles trying to do all the work at home. But you must have got the in the end, so perhaps you learnt more already discipline than you realised.

Let us know if you find out any more about college subjects on line. Take care and all the best.
Linda

Hi Grace

Just wondering how you are and if you managed to find a course on line or if you have taken the plunge and tried college?
Sounds like you were at the crossroads. It was so nice of you to offer to talk to my son. I did mention this but I am sure you can understand when he said 'I'll think about it', and it didn't happen. He is now doing the final two years of schooling at what we call TAFE here in Australia. Usually for post school students, lucky for us, one that is only 15 minutes away on the train offers the final years certificate. The age range is from 16 to 40!! And he is doing well, attending, making some friends and even travelling to and fro on the train. So I do hope you were able to perhaps make it into college, but even if you didn't, you have come a long way.
Remind yourself of what you have achieved despite the obstacles.
My son also started a diffent medication and that has helped greatly. Perhaps you might need to look at this option too?
Let us know how you are getting along. Thinking of you on your journey.
Linda

Hi Grace,
Well done on your sucess with GCSE's!I was wondering if you had heard of Interhigh, an online virtual structured school. They do A level sciences and other courses. My daughter did her GCSE's with them. Let me know if you need more details.

Hope you find something that is right for you
Sue x