school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 12 year old daughter anxiety/school refusal

Welcome aboard, Fiona! I know it is not a place that you want to be - amongst a group of parents who are all at their wits end because of their wayward children!

But the support that I have received here has been of immense help. No one has solved the problem. No one has waved a magic wand. But the support and the suggestions, some of which work and some do not, have all helped me along the way.

I don't contribute much these days - Linda does an amazing job! But you ex-pat comment caught my attention.

One of the big problems our children experience is the loss of contact with friends. One of our initial reactions was to remove mobile phones and computers as a punishment with the incentive she would get them back if she returned to school. But we quickly found that this loss of contact with friends was having a detrimental effect - and her teachers could no longer reach her to set homework (never done, but...).

As a family that has traveled, maintaining contact with people you encounter in one country when you or they move on is very difficult. So, I worry that finding a school in England might not be the best option unless there is already a point of contact.

BUT

Please look at the Blog article on this site called Duvet Day. There you will see a story of a girl who was placed in a boarding school. That school was able to provide amazing support, but I know others just will not be able to help in that way.

We found it a long road, but our daughter got a degree and has a job and manages to leave at 7:15am to get to her work when once getting up at all was quite something.

We can be with you along your raod, if that helps.

Simon