school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Repetetive Transcranial magnetic stimulation for anxiety and depression in adolescents

Hi

Has anyone heard of rTMs or repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for major depression and/or anxiety? A major university in Australia is currently carrying out a trial for adolescents and I am thinking my son fits the criteria.
See article below about this. I understand some trials were conducted in the UK a few years back. Does anyone know anything about that or know of anyone who participated? I feel a bit hesitant but am also thinking that my son has carved his own neurological negatives into his brainwaves over the past ten years and that is doing harm. So this might launch him forward ir the placebo effect give a kick start to moving! Like to hear any thoughts from others on this

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/mental-health-teens-test-magnetic-therapy-for-treatmentresistant-depression-20161007-grx8cp.html

Linda

Re: Repetetive Transcranial magnetic stimulation for anxiety and depression in adolescents

Linda,

I have never heard of this, but if your son likes the idea, then it is worth considering.

Simon

Re: Repetetive Transcranial magnetic stimulation for anxiety and depression in adolescents

Hi Simon,
They evidently have to attend five sessions a week (mon-Fri) and each session lasts 35-45 mins and is over a period of four weeks. And as it doesn't take place at the university but at a hospital about a 45 minute drive away from us, then it's no longer looking practical or possible! I can't imagine many teenagers who are suffering anxiety and depression finding it easy to attend every day. I think they will struggle to keep adolescents following the program.
My son is also having second thoughts as he looked on line about medical trials and was put off by some of the adverse effects some people have had when new medications have been trialed Although they would not be allowed to try this on adolescente if there was risk of long term or adverse effects, but I tend to agree with my son that it is perhaps risky.
So I think we have come full circle and although my son is the perfect person to give this a go, I'd hate there to be any long term negative effects.
IF we do go ahead, I will let you know how it goes.

Linda

Re: Repetetive Transcranial magnetic stimulation for anxiety and depression in adolesce

Obviously due to the distance and how hard ot would be to motivate my son to attend for five days, we aren't going ahead.

Just waiting to take my son to the station to attend a test/written piece under test conditions or a nice word for an exam. The class/test started at 1pm, it is now 1.30...he will be at least an hour late. They are often flexible and will probably allow him to stay longer. But if only I could get through to him that taking steps to avoid creating a more anxious situation is well worth while for long term skills and facing whatver life throws up. But by somehow going 'slow' and avoiding....the exam doesn't go away....
Agghhh...sorry...just tearing my hair out here as I have done for the past few weeks. My son is within s hair's breadth of failing his Year 11 but the teachers have thrown him life lines, extensions, alternative work....and still we teter on the edge. All due to not completing work or attending...as he is a bright kid. Very frustrating as a parent to observe. Our year finishes next week for year 11.
So over the years we have gone from a young boy, wanting to be at school but unable to face what school threw at him with thr heightened anxiety disorder...to a teenager who has grown so sick of the word school and study thst he does everything in his power to shut it out.
So Please...if you are reading this and unsure if to get help for your child or how much or when or whatever....just get all the help you can so that this whole school thing does not become such a turn off that motivation is dwindled down to 0%!
I wish we had not been fobbed off by so many people in those early days. My son needed help and lots of it but we were either brushed under the carpet, blamed as a bad parent, told he wasn't bad enough...and the list goes on. But as he was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder, he needed specific help. The help, luckily for others, is now out there, at least in this country where mental health has become a big thing. So grab what help you can, push back when you are blamed as a parent, demand answers and assistance and work to do at home...so that constant push push push, as I had to do, does not turn into what I now have...a very stubborn, avoidance skilled, 17 year old who struggles to attend flexible schooling, do the school work.
Yet outside of the 'school' environment/scenario, he has bought an electric guitar and doing really well, so if school was eliminiated...what would happen!!? Don't have the answers but getting motivation from a 17 year old can definiately be a challenge even if they don't have anxiety!!!
Hope you are all hanging in there!?
Linda

Re: Repetetive Transcranial magnetic stimulation for anxiety and depression in adolesce

Mmm....he is not going. Tells me I shouldn't be so stressed, its his life not mine....mmm.....what does one do now?

I know there is no one on the forum just lately, so I will reply and update my own post!
Basically, as I know from all the previous experience, you just keep on plodding forward.

Its touch and go if this year will be passed...exams missed, work not handed in. He has until next week to re sit exams and hand all work in. My fingers are crossed...not because I am desperate to push my son through an education at all costs, but because I know and he knows, adding an extra year to schooling is not a good option, at least I cannot see how it could be. Whilst education through school is not everything, and I have been big on that, if the reality is that your child is interested in s tertiary course, then you kind of do need them to get through. But I am weighing up the options for not finishing and if he wants, later becoming a mature age student to access the course he wants to do.

I know that many on here have been through these last couple of years of schooling and somehow found options, so one can re ain optimistic, despite the adverseries!
If you are struggling, hang in there.
Linda