school refusers

a resource for parents 

Please feel free to join our School Refuser message forum discussions. If you have experience of school refusing, you may find it appropriate to respond to previous posts.  Or you may be feeling isolated and wish to express your feelings.  Whatever, your contribtions are welocme. 

No registration required - just get posting!

School Refusal
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For anyone in Australia

Hi everyone

As most of you know - I am actually down under! But over the years got to know more about the UK system than my own. And I can say that there are more avenues in the UK for making diagnosis and for potential support- but much of this still remains out of reach for so many of you. The system is there but not working awfully well.
I can say the same for down here - and in fact, the system, needs a lot more tweaking to allow those like myself to not be shunted aside and regarded as having a misbehaving child - but take the time to make some kind of diagnosis and put some help in place. I believe the school system here failed my son.

Having said that - if you are in Australia and your child is going into the final years of schooling - there are options. And good ones. You can enrol your child in Distant Education - an on-line learning school where you have a teacher per subject and they try to make it as close to 'normal' school as possible. They have been inundated with students in recent years who suffer anxiety and depression - so they are changing the way they teach. Previously they only had students enrolled who were travelling, living temporarily overseas, lived too far from a school or were in acting or musicals that took them away from school for long periods. It is worth looking into and of course, essential if you are living in the country and there is only one school and your chid is refusing to attend it.

The other thing is what I have noticed is that there are other options springing up for the last two years of schooling in the cities.. You can now look for some more 'alternative' senior high schools. Some of these are attached to tertiary institutions. Some TAFE institutions (tertiary and trade) have the final years of schooling. RMIT in Melbourne has started up a VCE (Last two years of schooling) program and have been overwhelmed with the response.
As these are still complying to Educational Department curriculum - the fees are comparable to all other schools. You pay a levy for each subject and an administration fee. It might be around the $400+ mark (about 200 UK pounds...just to keep you all in the loop).

Which also brings me to wonder...do children living in country Australia (or UK for that matter) suffer school refusal as much or is it mostly a city issue? Are schools in country areas more embracing as the particular child has grown up being known by the whole community and in turn knows everyone else (familiarity) and is therefore just accepted?

I taught in a country school and I didn't come across School Refusal. Every kid seemed to know everyone's business and so if someone was away - they told you and why! They would also show concern if someone was away. I didn't see kids wandering around on their own at lunch time. Teaching in a city school was a different situation. So much bigger to start with. I saw bullying in various forms. The teachers seemed to have less interest in the students as it was just so big. If someone was away - the kids just groaned and said 'they are away AGAIN!' and no one knew why or seemed to care. For the first time I also saw some kids alone at lunch times. I had not seen this at the country school. So perhaps these large city schools are breeding a 'fight for survival' attitude and stopping kids feeling they 'belong'. It was, however, always like this really, so why now. Why have we got so many School Refusal students now. Is it our kids suffering from something we have yet to be defined, in the food chain, in the society, in the school system...what has brought this about. I still ponder this and still would love to see research into this.

Good luck to anyone out there reading this from Australia. Sometimes it looks like I have crossed the Oceans and joined the UK...which makes me also wonder...does Germany have School Refusal? Russia? Denmark? Sweden?
I know Japan does - they have a special word for it. They have cases where people were so ostracised by not being able to go to school that they became completely housebound. And with the technology and kids today, Japan is worried. And so we should be. Is technology robbing our kids of something that is just vital to human nature - connection? So many questions - would love the answers - but meanwhile - we all struggle together as parents and again I put out a big thank you to Simon for starting this website and forum. It saved my life and consequently my sons : )
Remember, you are not alone. And myself or Simon will always be around to chat on the forum - or someone else who has been through what you are going through will respond and give a helping hand.
We are here to help you.
Take care
Linda

Re: For anyone in Australia

Hi Linda

Just had a question about the distance education class. How do they teach the classes, by video or emailing set work?

Thanks

Fi

Re: For anyone in Australia

Hi Fi

It is all on-line - as in they read the information and answer questions, fill out the details and so forth via on-line programs specifically set up by the Distant Ed. So a particular topic might start with reading info then click on the right answer or watch a short video (given link that links direct) and then answer questions. I was impressed with how it was all put together.
Some activities are to ensure they read and understand and other work is longer or more specific and then uploaded for marking.
There are also booklets if you don't have internet access but as they now have small videos to watch then this is probably a problem for some people travelling.
My son did the second half of Year 10 using this method...and as a parent the good thing...you can also monitor if the work has been uploaded or not. Parents have a portal that takes them to the list of what has or hasn't been uploaded.

Linda